Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Radiotelemetry in Siren lacertina

T

trisha

For those of you that provided contacts and information about implanting transmitters into sirens (particularly Ed Kowalski), I thought you'd like an update on how the research has been going.

I was able to successfully implant the transmitters into 20 Siren lacertina, half in a roadside ditch and half in a natural wetland. I went with 3 gram transmitters and chose animals over 200 grams (total length around 50cm +). A few animals with numerous bite marks (during the breeding season) had problems healing, but for the most part, they healed very quickly.

I've been tracking them now since January, and there's been no mortality in either habitat. Their movements are comparable to what's been reported in the literature - around 10-50 meters, with daily movements usually only a few meters if they've moved at all. As water levels continue to drop, it will be interesting to see when and where the animals choose to aestivate.

I gleaned a lot of helpful husbandy information from this website, and also appreciate the information provided by various people when I was first getting started. As I gather more data, I'll post again in case any of you are interested in what those secretive creatures are doing.

Again, thanks for all the helpful information and I'll keep you posted!

Trisha Crabill

J

jennifer

Wonderful, thank you for the summary of your research! I wish you good luck with further tracking, and do keep us posted.

E

edward

Yes thank you very much for the update..
Once you publish maybe you would consider adding some of the information you learned to the caudata culture site....

Ed

T

trisha

It will likely be atleast a year before anything is published, but I will certainly submit a summary of results and techniques before then.

Trisha

J

john

In the February issue of Lab Animal, there's an article about intracoelimic radiotransmitter implantation in Hyla versicolor which may have some application....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1