Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Detroit Zoo

J

joan

I know most of you have never been to the Detroit Zoo, but I'm sure you've seen pictures. This is worthwhile for everyone to read.

Because of multiple issues, mainly the overspending of the Detroit mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, the Detroit Zoo is slated to close in the near future. The City Council says Detroit cannot afford to keep the zoo open. However, City Council refuses to sign over the rights of the Zoo (which is owned by the city of Detroit, but is physically in the suburb of Royal Oak) to the Detroit Zoological Society. They also refuse to sell/lease/whatnot the zoo to any private entity.

I'm not one to ask people to sign petitions, but I think this one is very important. Not only is the zoo great for people, but it is a fantastic research facility, with the Arctic Ring of Life polar bear breeding program, and the National Amphibian Conservation Center.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/detzoo/

J

john

Would signatures from outside that voting district even count?

J

jennifer

Gee, that's awful. It seems like leasing the zoo to the Zoological Society would be a win-win arrangement.

The online petition doesn't collect any information about where you live, so I guess anyone can sign it. I did.

Real letters are usually more effective than online petitions. Do you have a link to addresses of the Detroit city council, so people who live nearby can write or call?

E

edward

This was just announced to the Zoo community over the last couple of days. As I understand it, the city of Detroit is many millions of dollars in debt and the Zoo is not going to compete with the police and other services for funding... They have been threatening to do something drastic with the Zoo for a couple of years.
There is some suspicion in some sections of the Zoo community that the city of Detroit is hoping for a public bail out like what has occured in some cities (like Baltimore) in the last several years.
The last several years have been very very bad for a surprising number of Zoos, resulting in reductions in collections, staffing and programs. (We just went through a second round of layoff at work...)

Detroit needs your support but also do not forget about the Zoo in your "backyard".

Ed

K

kyle

Wow, surprising and very devastating news as it currently stands. I was just at the Detroit Zoo and its quite the impressive place and it would indeed be a shame for them to have to close down shop.

I hope everything works out, but it sounds like an iffy situation. Keep us updated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!