Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Check out this post

E

edward

Check out the link to the salamander and newt forum on kingsnake http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=670800,671375

The previous post tells the person to go to caudata.org and check under the species accounts for information.
The next guy gets on there calls the previous information crud and then copies the info out of the tiger salamander sheet on there without crediting the site.

Ed

J

jennifer

He claims to be 17 years old, but has evidently never heard of "plagiarism".

K

kim

Hmmmm, something VERY fishy is going on here, has anyone approched this member?

R

russ

OK, so I didn't notice that there's no info (just pics) under the species listing when I posted, my mistake. But what a dink.

RUSS

M

mark

Wow wow wow!!!, why do you all have to be jerks!!! everybody calm down! What I meant to say, was giving someone a link to caudata will not solve all there problems! I was simply trying to help this other person by using information from caudata culture, I will go right back to kingsnake.com and tell where I got all the information. Thanks Edward, now everyone hates me.

R

russ

Not true, everyone doesn't hate you. You could have just pointed out my error and given the person a better link though. Remember, there's no inflection in the written word.

RUSS

M

mark

I have given the information credit, and thanks for bringing up the avatar thing, thats going to make people think so highly of me. I did not think it was going to blow to someone making a big deal about it, just becuase I simply forgot to tell where I got the information. I think you dealt with this issue in a totally wrong manner, you could have told a higher official, and we could have sorted everything out, instead of you creating a post about it. Now all I can do is just sit back while I am verbally attacked by everyone. Thanks.

dot

Reaction score
Mark -

People don't hate you. The c.org forum community doesn't think any less of you. You made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. No one's going to "attack" you. Ed only pointed it out because he, Jen and Nate worked very hard on the caresheet and it was upsetting for them to not be credited, you know? And Russ even pointed out that the link he gave wasn't as informative as he thought. Relax. This isn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

J

jennifer

Nobody hates you, Mark. I'm sure you won't be making this kind of mistake again. It's sad that some schools evidently don't teach students that copying photos and text from the Internet is wrong!

D

danny

Mark, I know that you had the best intentions behind your actions. You wanted to give the person the best information possible so they could take care of there salamander properly. I think we all know that you didnt intentionally mean to not give credit to those who wrote the article. I thought this website was put up to share ideas and information?

J

jesper

Is it just me or do anyone understand why the first link is called "<font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>"?
They both refer to the same sheet, right? Only Russ didn't link all the way to the sheet and Mark copied and pasted....

J

joeri

Everybody makes mistakes Mark, and if you haven't been teached about plagiarism we can't blame you for that. But your attitude fits a teenage shoutbox, not a respected forum such as this. Better chill a bit, apologise and learn from your mistakes.

Having said that, I want to add that this is a very warm community that doesn't expel people who made mistakes. Only those who consciously keep making them. You see, it's not because we can't actually see people here that you're not dealing with them. So respect their feelings and efforts please.

As a last edition, the net is full of bullcrud and if you want to give decent information it never hurts to add the source of your (reliable)information.

Joeri

(Message edited by mike_g on December 31, 2004)

M

mark

Okay, I know about plagiarism, and I have for a long time, I just simply forgot to put in a link after trying to give someone great information. My point is that I don't think this whole deal should have been made into a post, it was the wrong way to go about it. O and jesper, I called the first link <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> because it just had pictures, and I suppose I could have used better wordage or something. Thank you all, and I hope we can all get over this silly post.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1