Baked newt

T

tj

As promised (in an earlier post), here are some pics of a shop in Tokyo that sells newts...urrrh...baked ones, that is!
lol.gif

1635.jpg

It's called "kuroyaki" (characters for "black" and "bake/fry"), and shops like this are very scarce nowadays. In fact, this may be the only one left in Tokyo.

1636.jpg

Passersby can see what's on offer through the window. Only one of those jars has newts in them (Cynops pyrrhogaster).

1637.jpg

Venturing inside, the shopkeeper is only too happy to show his merchandise (for there are very few customers these days).

1638.jpg

I didn't inquire as to how the newt is baked, but how it's used is as a love potion ("hore-gusuri").

It's supposed to be crumbled into powder by the amorous guy who purchases it, and then slipped into the food or drink of the girl he is trying to seduce. Something along the lines of a Mickey Finn, I guess.
blush.gif

1639.jpg

Uuuuh, that brings back "fond" memories from visiting China where you can (among many other critters) find dried caudates in traditional pharmacies. What I saw might have been Hynobius. And Tylototriton is also known to be collected commercially for this purpose. I didn't managed to find out what they are actually used for/against though.

I've also seen a bit of everything in Chinese pharmacies and animal markets (out of the corner of my squinched eyes of course!), but not yet sallies. Did they look anything like this? (not my pic by the way)

1648.jpg

These are also also Hynobius. I actually bought one of these secondhand years ago in the Japanese countryside to keep as a newtophile "collector's item" but it soon went sour on me and I felt terrible.
blush.gif

Edible sallies sold at a few hotspring resorts, skewed and fried, I hear. I plan to take some pics of this phenomenom, perhaps for an article.

By the way, I read somewhere about Chinese giant salamanders appearing "regularly" in restaurants in Macau/o but have yet to confirm this. And you?

I'm glad there aren't many shops left like that and few interested customers , the ones that are interested are obviously mentally ill !!

Mmmm crunchy. Don't show those to Henk Wallays - he'd have a breakdown *grin*.

That's heinous.

Imagine how slow and painful that death must be.

Yep, pretty inhumane (and unappetizing!) but arguably no more so than what producing fish, beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc. in the "civilized" West entails.

I certainly wouldn't want to be one of those sals but -- to put things in perspective -- nor would I want to be any of the creatures they ate prior to being caught and eaten themselves.

Which leads one to wonder whether people who eat them whole like this ever pause to consider they are also consuming whatever's in the sals' stomachs...(worms, flies...)
lol.gif

Anybody for tempura?

1747.jpg

1748.jpg

1749.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back