Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Decapsulated Artemia for Baby Newts

K

kurt

Does anyone know if you can feed newt larvae, Spanish ribbed, Decapsulated Artemia?

J

jennifer

I have no personal experience with them. However, I have read that decapsulated artemia have a very poor hatch rate (and aren't really intended to be hatched out). They are produced as food to feed directly to some fish fry. In the unhatched state, they would probably not be eaten by newt larvae.

J

jennifer

One added point: you can decapsulate them yourself, then hatch them. There are instructions at:
http://www.sfbb.com/faqs.asp
But I think that if you buy them already decapsulated, they may have a poor hatch rate.

J

joseph

Jenn: I hear that decapsulation actually increases hatch rate, but the only reason to bother doing so is to avoid the shells which when injested by either small fish or small amphibians, can block the digestive tract.

The eggs can be fed decapsulated to some kinds of baby fish(emphasis on some...).
However, I doubt newts would eat the decap eggs.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Their are 2 types of decapsulated artemia cysts. I think if you decapsulate right before hatching you will receive good hatch rates. The decapsulated eggs sold in bulk are often used for food without hatching. I don't think unhatched ones would work as a staple food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!