Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need Medication for broken leg

K

k

I feel totally stupid posting about this.. and it is totally my fault.

After months of reading the forums and following the threads faithfully.. I bought a Cyn Orientalis WITHOUT buying an extra tank. So.. I thought it would be ok for a little bit IF he stayed with my Cyn Pyrrhogaster. I seriously thought he was the same as my Pyrr (don't ask). Unfortunately.. my husband found him with a broken front leg this morning
cry.gif
!

We quarantined him this morning in a plastic container but I am so worried and I feel so horrible. After looking through the thread headings it looks like the leg might have to be amputated, can anyone give me any other ideas? Also it looks like it is growing fungus on it, will any antibiotic help at this point? I've read that Neosporin could help..?

Please help with any advice possible!
cry.gif

S

shi

Well if anyone has any answers please tell me. I am taking him to a vet that works with amphibians especially newts/salamander. I am setting up a new tank in 10mins, so hopefully he will have a new home when he comes home from the vet.

I am a horrible parent
lame.gif

J

jennifer

Newts can regenerate limbs, so as long as it doesn't get infected and the newt is healthy otherwise, it has a good chance of healing. How did it go with the vet?

S

shi

I have learned my lesson, I just wanted him so bad and had searched so long for a mate for my female that I acted without thinking.

The vet went fine, they amputated his arm and he seemed a bit stressed but is still eating and swimming around. He just seems a bit uncoordinated without one of his front limbs.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

S

shelby

I had to amputate a leg this morning...I cried so much because I thought it was going to hurt him and he'd not ever trust me again. But I made it quick with a brand new razor and he didn't seem to notice I had done it at all. However to my surprise he got up on my finger and held on to me and sat there for a while. I had been advised to use Bactine on the wound, so I dabbed some on with a q-tip...he's been a bit more active today since the "operation"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1