Very sick newt

K

kim

I'm hoping someone can give me other ideas on how to help my son's (now my obsession)firebellied newt. He was purchased 3 weeks ago from a petstore that I now realize had no business selling them as they have no idea how to care for them. When purchased he had only a small waterdish...all land...I thought I was making an educated purchase because I went back several times to make sure I knew exactly what was involved with caring for a newt. We came home with a 2 gallon tank and fish food (yes, i know, terrible)...When he didn't eat for two or three days I began doing research online about food and habitat...and he was moved into a larger tank with small filter and 3/4 land...I have tried every possible food (worms, brine shrimp, flies)..he has consumed food once...about one week ago I noticed a small patch of skin missing near his snout..I thought he had injured himself but this small patch has dramatically spread to behind his neck and under his eyes...I have him in dirt quarantine now and have used polysporin and bactine to no avail...it is spreading so fast...My fear is that I am prolonging his agony...is there anything else I can do to help him?? I am afraid I may be doing something wrong and hurting the helpless creature more...there aren't any vets who will see a newt in my area...If someone would give me some idea as to what I can do to help him I would really appreciate it...Thanks in advance!!!

OK, before you do anything else, try a salt bath solution. I don't think bactine works and ploysporin sounds like an antibiotic, so if that is the case that might be fine. Use a tubberware container and but some NONIODIZED(sea salt, aqarium salt) in there. this is the hard part cause it can be made too strong, so just use 2-3 parts per thousand. This is really hard to gauge, but try puting in, say a teaspoon per gallon, that might not be enough but Im not getting in trouble beacuse I messed this up myself. Put the newt in the salt bath for 30 minutes and then put it back. I have to say it doesn't sound real good, so if it is looking like it is dieing, read this http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml. I hope it pulls through. Let us know what it is looking like tomarrow or post a picture.

The axolotl site recommends a salt bath of 2-3 teaspoons per litre/two pints. It's worth a try, but may not help.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is really common for pet shop firebellies. They suffer a lot of torture on the way to the pet shop, and many die in the first month as a result. I'm sorry, this probably isn't the answer you'd like to hear, but it may be too late for this one.

Thanks very much for your quick responses...I wish I would have stumbled upon your site sooner...Unfortunately, he died during the night which is perhaps the best because he was not only starving but also in pain from his skin infection...As for the petstore situation, I am absolutely enraged that people can sell animals that they have absolutely no idea how to care for...It's also a sad lesson on doing proper research before purchasing a pet...
Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back