Newt eggs getting fungus

C

cole

I have been taking eggs out of my adult tank and putting them in a small 5 gallon aquarium with an inch of water, changed every day. Every egg that I have put in there turns fuzzy within two days. I have just a fake plant and a few stones in there. I was wondering if I may need to add some live plants or oxygenate it somehow. The eggs that I pulled out that were close to hatching were fine though. Just curious as to what you all think?

It's very likely the ones that turn fuzzy are unfertilized. It's also possible that changing the water every day is causing an unstable environment.

I agree, they are probably infertile eggs. In a small tank, daily water changes are OK I would say. You do add dechlorinating drops to the water, right?

Yes I add Prime and let the water sit for 24 hours , also I am thinking they must be infertile because most of the eggs in the adult tank are turning fuzzy also. There are some still that are devoloping though. I think that I will leave them in the adult tank until almost hatching time just to be safe . I have 20 hatched so far and all is going well with them. Thank you for the replies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back