Unidentified Newt - another pic.. please help

D

donna

Hi, I posted a couple of days ago and still have not been able to find out what type of newt I have. I desperately need to find out so I can give him/her the proper care that is needed. Here is another pic, and before anyone tells me off I know you are not supposed to handle them, but it was the only way I could get a better pic. Many thanks and look forward to some more help. I will post another pic in a sec so you can see his belly.
Donna
ps. Also need to know what size tank is best, heating or not etc.

65848.jpg

Just another question. How often should he be opening his mouth under the water, I know about fish but not about newts. I can see him opening his mouth very quickly but often????

It's a warty newt (paramesotriton genus), though I'm not entirely sure of the species. Maybe Fuzhongensis. In the future, please don't make two threads for the same question.

No heating needed, and it's best to keep the water temp below 70 degrees farenheit. A 10-gallon tank is sufficient for one warty newt. I don't know of any reason to worry about the mouth opening.

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on June 01, 2006)

Are you looking for confirmation of the previous answers, Donna? I can tell you that what Andy and Paris told you previously is completely true, in my opinion. The links Andy gave previously will help you a great deal.

It is Paramesotriton caudopunctatus. I would say it needs a 10-gallon tank, larger if you like luxury accomodations. You can find additional information to help you here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

Like the others already said, its a Paramesotriton caudopunctatus.

oh yeah, the mouth opening isnt like that of fish. fish do it to draw in water to force through their gills. newts breathe air-no gills. the mouth thing you see is like a dog sniffing, they are sampling the water for information just like a dog uses its nose for.

Fantastic, thanks for all your help. Sorry for posting another thread, but I could not find how to edit the other one and I was so excited because I had a much better picture this time and was so desperate to find out for sure what he is, just was looking for further confirmation. I can't believe he has survived in our pond in the first place. But great news, I now know what he is, so I can get him set up properly now and out of the pond. But does this explain why nearly all our fish went missing???..lol. Again thanks for all your help, and I will get reading the further links that were posted.

See the paper with the pencil icon to the right of your "posted on Friday, 02 June, 2006....."? That's your edit tool, for future reference.

If your fish were small enough for the newt to swallow whole, then more than likely that's where your fish went.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back