Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T.verrucosus babies need help urgent

J

johnson

Hi friends,
my group of T.verrucosus keep laying n I keep hatching them. From the day I got them till now there should be more then 1000 babies I hatched.

But I have a very big problem. The babies keep dying!!!!

I keep them in big group in big tub they die.
I keep them in small group in lots of small tubs they die.
I keep them in very small group in small cups they die.

I used the water from the main sallies tank they die.
I used aged water with anti-chlorine from a pail they die.
I used aged water with anti-chlorine with 2 gold fishes in the pail they still die.
In the end my 2 poor gold fishes also die!!!

Where did I go wrong?????

I noticed when they die they r coated with a layer of white coating. Once 1 baby spotted with the white coating the rest of the babies will die within the next 2 hours. My gold fishes die in this way too.

Currently I used a 1 ft by 1 ft tank with an air pump. Still trying very hard to bring up the babies. Situation does not look too good cos I spotted 1 baby die this morning again.

Can any kind soul pls help me out??

J

johnson

I'm the murder of a thousand babies
sad.gif

Still have hundreds of eggs waiting for me to execute them
sad.gif

J

john

That's a bit of a mystery. I am guessing that there is some sort of pathogen in your tanks that only affects larvae.

J

johnson

I did wash n wash the containers that I use but the problem still persist.

Question: Can I use the water from the parents tank??

J

johnson

I also notice one thing that when the babies r about to start dying the daphnia that I put in will die within minutes or even seconds.

K

killian

I would say there is something in the water you rae using to rear them.

If they are being laid in the parent tank and the parents are ok why not keep the water from that tank at least you know it is ok.

You could set up a pond outside, let it fill with rain water then use the water from that as there will be a healthy ecosystem already established in it.

I would do some tests on the water you are trying to hatch them in and not use it to house anything until you find the problem.

J

john

Johnson - that sounds like an ammonia surge if the Daphnia are dying off suddenly. You need to make sure the water conditions remain stable.

mike

Reaction score
Daphnia are very sensitive to certain water conditions. They are used to test pollution in bodies of water. Maybe the local water has to do something? By all means try other possibilities. (Bottled water for a bit, Parent's tank water, UV Sterilized water)

J

johnson

Hi John,
just tested the water using tubifex worms. They die (become white) within minutes.

J

johnson

Hi Killian,
the problem is I'm not sure is the main tank's water safe too cos I used aged water in another tank n put the females in there n they still lay.
Any recommend test for the water like ammonia etc..

C

chris

The white coating seems like fungus...try keeping a few in a fish breeeding trap in with the adults.
Chris

I

ira

it could definatly be an ammonia spike, espically if you are putting gold fish in the water before the water gets to the larve. Gold fish produce tons of ammonia and your probally should not be using them to age the water. Just get a good clean bucket, fill it up, and let it stand for 2-3 days and you will have nice, declorinated water. I have heard about people having trouble with cuadates and that declorinater stuff too.

If the probally continues, it may be your water has something in it that is bad for your newts (and maybe even bad for you if it is something like heavy metals or cyanide) maybe look into a RO/DI unit or a distiller.

J

johnson

Thanks friends. Will look further into the problem. Will also get another pail to hold the water n hope everything will go well.

J

jennifer

You didn't describe what kind of water changing protocol you have followed. You might want to try 100% water changes every day or every 2 days, along with a change to a fresh, cleaned container.

In answer to your question, yes, you could use water from the parental tank. You might also try leaving a few larvae in with the parents... some people have had good luck with that.

J

johnson

Hi,
I did 100% water change for the babies every 2-3 days but I didn't change the container. Maybe that is also one of the reason.

Currently I put in few babies into the parental tank n see how r they doing in a few days time.

Thanks

C

chris

Verrucosus are voracious - make sure the larvae have plenty of cover to escape being eaten, or as I said, use a fishbreeding trap.
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1