I really need help with my swollen newt?????

C

chana

No one locally seems to know whats wrong with it?? For the last few days its been slowly swelling in size..It has doubled in size and I'm afraid its going to burst???? It wont or cant eat anything, it's not just his belly thats swelling it's everything, even his tale is swelling???? please any info is appreciated..

Sounds like bloat
blush.gif

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/bloatEDK.shtml

There is really nothing you can do to save it. If you cant stand seeing your newt in this condition, get it euthinized. If you cant afford that,

put a dab of 'ora-gel' (a human product for tooth pain) on the animal's lower tummy and set him in a dark box. the 'ora-gel' is what's called an analgesic - it numbs the nerves around the tooth that is bothering you. when you apply it to the lower underside of amphibians (where most of them have a super-absorbant patch of skin) it basically shuts down their nervous systems. no nervous system = no pain = quick death.

On average, how much does euthanasia cost for an animal like a newt or salamander? My Tiger Salamander is nearly 1 ft. in length, if that makes a difference. In another post I mentioned his condition.

Tom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back