Bloat treatment

W

wyatt

i think i have a few bloated newts(nvv) but it is not kidney, because i wild caught them. i think its constipation, eqq retention or ovulation. can you tell me how to treat these? any advice would help.

Are they floating? Just because they're wild caught it doesn't meant they have perfect kidneys.

LOL, I like your comment about non-perfect kidneys Ben. Where they bloated when you caught them? If they are floating it might be constipation. Are the limbs bloated?
When my newts have been constipated I have just put them on land and fed them a lot. Take a photo of them otherwise it is impossible to tell really.

no limbs aren't they only float and there is no other symtoms. the newt are Notophalmus V.V. what do i do if they're constipated. i read that if turtle are constipated you put them in warm water to stimulate a bowle movement. Would this work for N.V.V. it is probably constipation. it's not breedin season so it's nothin to do with eggs. it's kidneys or constipation. what are symptoms of kidney.

What have you been feeding the newts?

Regardless do not place the newts in warmer water. Thermal shock in amphibians is a potential death sentence.

Ed

Eh? ok..
If it is constipation this usually clears up by itself, I gave you advise above. Floating stresses the newt out. I would put it in a terrestrial setup and feed it. Feeding stimulates intestinal movements that might loosen up whatever is plugged...
The warm water thing I dont know about, depends on the temp I suppose. Doesnt sound good though, temp shock. It is impossible to tell without a pic. We dont know how bad it is etc.

I think warm temperature would only further stress the newts and cause them to get an intestinal infection. Newts aren't very tollerant of large temperatures and shouldn't be treated like turtles.

In 20 years keeping newts, I've never seen a case of constipation. Thus, I doubt that is what it is.

Is it only the females that seem bloated? If so, they could be developing eggs (or putting on fat in preparation for making eggs).

Notophthalmus are somewhat prone to bloating, and it often affects the body without causing the limbs to swell.

I've noticed that new C. o will sometimes float for anywhere from a few minutes to a few days while getting acclimatized to the newt surroundings and dealing with transport stress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back