Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick tiger salamander

megan

Reaction score
I got my tiger salamander, Stumpy, about a week ago. She came from the lab I work in at university. She was very healthy, but has deformed front feet so she couldn't be used in the study on walking our lab is conducting. When I got her home, I put her on coconut husk litter (she had been on just wet paper towels in the lab). I thought she was doing fine, but then today I realized that a large area of her stomach is completely raw! I immediately put her in a container with wet paper towels, but I'm scared she's not going to make it. What should I do?

J

jennifer

Change the salamander to clean paper towels every day. There are a couple of treatments you could apply that might help fight off infection, such as salt baths, Neosporin (w/o painkiller!), or products for treating aquarium fish.

Does it appear to be already infected - red or fuzzy? If not, then I think there is a good chance it could heal.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sores.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/treatment.shtml

One other idea... if you work at a lab with animals, perhaps there is a veterinarian around that could help you.

(Message edited by jennewt on November 17, 2006)

megan

Reaction score
What do I do if it is infected? The skin around the raw area does appear a little red.

Do you really think she could heal? The area is pretty much her entire stomach, I don't know how it happened so fast.

Also, do you know what could have caused it? I read that coconut husk was an acceptable substrate for tiger salamanders, but now I'm wondering. Was it just the stress of moving from paper towels to something new?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it very much!

megan

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Jennifer, but my little salamander just passed away. By the time I noticed there was a problem, she was just too far gone.

I would still be interested to hear if you have any ideas about what could have caused this - it happened in a matter of about three days, and all of the salamanders I care for in the lab are looking quite fat and happy. If it's something I did (which I'm assuming it was), I'd like to know so that I don't repeat it!

(Message edited by megan on November 17, 2006)

J

jameswei

What is the temperature of your room? Do you have any pictures of the actual infection?

J

jennifer

I'm sorry for your loss, Megan. I can think of two possibilities. One is that the coconut fiber was somewhat abrasive. I know people keep sals with the stuff, but if the animal was hyperactive during the acclimitization period (and possibly rubbing its skin more due to the gimpy front feet?), perhaps managed to rub its skin raw.

The second thing that comes to mind is an infection, along the lines of what is called "red leg". I don't know why it would suddenly get this, but a change in environment can be stressful.

A

alyssa

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
My eastern tiger salamander waterdog used to have a beautiful crown of green flowing head spikes. But all the sudden it seems he has lost all of the qualitys of what he used to have now the look like long squishy black skinny things hanging from his head. I'm not sure what caused this. But recently I have been hand feeding him because he ate a rock that cut his throat open hes not in the best shape but he cirtanly doesnt look good. when ever he tries to swallow his throat pops open and stays that way until I press it closed. It looks painful and he no longer wants to eat thats why I've been hand feeding him. Hes not very active anymore. He seemed to be doing okay but now his fluffy head spikes are black and skinny. I dont know how to fix his neck hole or his head spikes. PLEASE help me, tell me what is the matter with him!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!