Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Parasitic worms?

C

cg

I have a T. marmoratus that eats very well, but is very thin, no matter how much he eats, he won`t gain any weight. I`m assuming that he might have worms. I have been unable to find any fecal matter in the tank that I can check for worms. Does anyone have any advise on how to possibly get rid of worms?

TJ

Reaction score
Hi CG. I had the same problem with adult T. marmoratus before. Regardless of how much they ate, they never fattened out as hoped...and they eventually died.

And I've had the same problem for a year or so with one of my P. waltl, an acquired individual I've isolated from around 20 others I've bred but kept. It eats and eats but remains skinny -- skinny but alive. I just try to compensate for whatever the worm/worms are eating by feeding the newt frequently and as much as it will eat in one session.

In the case of my T.marmoratus, before they died I'd contemplated feeding them discus burger containing a dewormer, figuring that if it was safe for such a delicate ornamental fish it might be safe for newts. But it's only effective for a specific type of worm (intestinal I think).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1