Broken leg

S

scottyo2u

I got an Eastern newt a couple of weeks ago that had a swollen leg. I got the infection down, but the leg is broken (bone exposed) and isn't reattaching. It's a back leg and I wonder if I should amputate so it can regenerate the limb, or should I leave it and hope it heals?
Thanks, any advice would be appreciated!
Scott

scottyo2u: i was just wondering if u have amputated it yet and if u have, has it already regenerated

dont amputate! do they really grow limbs back? take it to a pet store, they'll know what to do and wont ask for payment like a vet. it could bleed to death if you amputate and dont know what you're doing.

No, pet stores are usually clueless as to the proper care of newts and salamanders. They really do regenerate limbs, and they will not bleed to death from a lost limb.

wow. ive never heard of amputation, and growing back limbs. i know that you can break off salamander tails, ive done that a few times by accident, but never heard of growing limbs. yeech.

when mine scraped all the skin off its stomach (could see all skin and puss hanging off her) it hid behind my filter for about a week without eating and then she came out and started eating and about another 2-3 weeks later it had healed. But it would probably take longer for a leg to heal.

One of my spanish ribbed newts who lost his leg to a larger ribbed newt that was a little too much on a feeding frenzy has been regenerating for approxiamtly three months. The wound has completly healed over and the leg has grown perhaps less then half a centimetre from when it was severed. Looks very healthy though.

I have had several newts (particularly my vicious little CFBs who bit each other) with "missing limbs" and such. My late HKWarty also lost a hand...you will soon notice (depending on their size) that the limb looks "fuzzy" at the end. Within several months they will have an unusual, translucent looking regrowth of whatever they're missing. Eventually, it will take color and grow to full size. It's quite amazing. But yes, it does actually happen.

Ooh, forgot to add, while the amputation is still fresh, take special care to keep the water clean and consider keeping him in an environment where infection is unlikely (quarantine tank or "mud treatment"). Check out Caudate Central (a subdivision of this site) and they will show many methods of treating wounds that will keep him healthy.

do they use their new limbs as good as their old ones?

are their new legs pailer in colour than the rest of the body because I heard thats what happens with axolotls when they get a new limb.

the limbs are definetly growing back
that's an newt ability

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back