Tiger salamander hasn't eaten for 2 months or so. please help...

N

nick

hi im new at this. ive had my tiger since he was little, i've had him for 1 1/2 years now. and 5 months ago i got sick of maintaining eco earth dirt so i got him a carpet and moss instead. i dont know if that has anything to do with him not eating. but i give him crickets and worms every week and they just die in his habitat. he hasnt eaten for 2 months or so. whats goin on? is this a phase?is this normal? how long do they go without eating? thanks so much

What kind of moss did you use? I would recommend switching back to eco-earth (coco fiber), it's a better substrate for sals. Some mosses are very acidic, and this causes a slow death.

It's common for sals to eat less in winter. But 2 months w/o eating is too long. Be careful about putting in crickets - uneaten crickets can nibble on the salamander.

i bought this moss at petsmart called fluker's. is that brand okay? i just bought bed-a-beast dirt from petsmart aswell. im switchin him over tonight. is bed a beast okay? how often should i throw crickets in there? and how many at a time? i just throw 12 in there all at the same time once a week. thanks

Yes, Bed-a-beast is the same thing as eco-earth, and both are OK. They have a fairly neutral pH. You should not put 12 crickets in at once, particularly if the animal isn't eating. As I mentioned, crickets will chew on salamander skin if there is nothing else in the tank for them to eat (poor sal). It's possible that your sal is eating a few of the crickets, but doesn't need 12/week. I'd say put in 1 or 2 crickets and don't add more until those are gone. Also, put some cricket food (like a piece of potato, lettuce, or carrot) in the tank so the crickets have something to eat.

You need to have a small setup where you keep the crickets alive and healthy until you need them. The crickets need moisture (like a piece of wet sponge) and something nutritious (thus the added nutrition is passed along to the sals). Feed the crickets carrot and other veggies. On top of that, you should be dusting the crickets with a vitamin/calcium powder immediately before putting them in with the sal. This is because crickets, although rich in protein, are very calcium-poor, and this can have very bad effects on any reptile/amphibian that eats mostly crickets long-term. Earthworms are nutritionally much better.

thank! will do so! but earthworms beter in nutriotion than crickets? i never knew that! they are silent and harmless to my tiger! i'll get some of that! thanks!

Earthworms are also a more natural food source for tigers then commercially raised crickets. May entice the tiger to eat.

Another consideration is to feed crickets a calcium and vitamin cricket food and calcium supplemented cricket water gel vs. dusting. This may be a little more expensive and crickets fed calcium tend to die quicker. I tend to feed my tigers 3 times a week as much as they will consume in 'one setting'. Tigers also adapt well to being hand fed.

Re earthworms, depending on how large your tiger is vs. the size of worms you are using, you may need to cut up the worms. Here is a nice article on that:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

And if you haven't seen this care sheet yet, it is definitely worth reviewing:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml
Good luck with your tiger.

i tred earthworms from wal mart. he looked at it and walked away even when i keep puttin it next to him. why wont he eat? what is goin on?

Try chopping a worm into bite-size bits. Then leave a few on a wet tissue so you can remove them later again.
Your tiger walked away from the worm, was he out in the open or did you dig him out of his tunnel? Could you post a picture of your setup?

i dug the guy out. my set up is basic. 5 inches of bed a beast, pool, and some moss. if i cut them up, will they move? wont they wiggle out of the tissue? and if they dont move, how will my sal know its food? can they smell? thanx

Try feeding a worm by placing it in front of his hole. Don't try to move him first. You can hold a worm with tweezers if need be.

I would really recommend getting rid of the moss. As Jennifer stated, many mosses can contribute acidity to the substrate and create a hostile environment for the sal and eventual death....since you are having some problems...eliminate this risk.

A cut up worm will continue to move. In addition to tweezers, you can put a worm piece on a long wood skewer...dangle this in front of your sal while he is in his hide.

What temperature are you keeping your sal at? I keep mine around 70ish F and I do not see seasonal variations in appetite. How large is your vivarium?

10 gallon. i dont use a heater or air cooler at home. lately i say it gets between 60-70 the past week. i live in san diego.

10 gallon is fine for one tiger and your coco-fiber depth is good. By 'pool', I assume you mean a water dish and not partly aquatic? Unless temperatures were higher in summer/fall, would question temp fluctuation being responsible for appetite change.
Hope it starts eating...two months is too long.

yes water dish. it's kind of hard to study him and his behavior/to feed him. being that he's always buried. he doesnt stick his head out like he does (sometimes). therefore i havent been sticking/holding nightcrawlers next to him. whaat can i do? i would hate to leave a bunch of crawlers in there being thats frowned upon and they could just die in his habitat and ruin my bedabeast (i mean if they die it would be hard to find them being that they burrow as well. so what i think i should do is throw like 10 in there and leave them some food so they survive in there. what do u guys think? should i give this a go? i'll wait for your (caudata.org members) advice before i do this. my question now is what food should i leave in there to keep the night crawlers alive in my tigers habitat? thanks you guys. i really appreciate all your advice and all. i'm gonna get this critter to EAT!!!!!!!

If it were me, I would be more aggressive in trying to convince the tiger to eat. If you place worms in the viv, how will you know if it is eating or still starving? I would continue to entice him with crickets or worm pieces held with long tweezers or a long skewer. And though it is not optimal to disturb him...at this point - he needs to eat. I would dig him out of hiding, let him walk around, then gently dangle the food object in front of him. There are probably other opinions and approaches, but that is what I would try.

okay. i will give your approach a go today. if your wondering how he looks, he looks healthy to me (oddly, despite the no EATING). he looks like any other tiger sal in captivity. not obese, not skinny

GOOD NEWS! i dug him up. left the light off. let him chill and walk a lil bit. threw a whole worm next to him. he stalked it. he attacked it. he ATE it! he ATE it!!!!! woo hoo! FINALLY! i wanted to cut it, but i notice they dont move much when cut up and he ignores it. is it okay for him to eat a whole one? after he ate one, i threw another one in and he ignored it. how much nightcrawlers should he eat a day?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back