Firebelly Newts Staying on land!!!!!

G

glenn

Hi, I have 3 Firebelly Newts in a 44 gallon tank. Plenty of land areas and water. I did have guppied and ghost shrimp in my tank but I recently removed them because the newts would not go in the water. I put tublfex worms in the tank and there is tons still in there, Newts still dont go in the water not even to eat the worms. I've been feeding them live worms and frozen bloodworms. There only eating the live worms.

How do I get them to go in the water? I have a filter which I turn on every few days to keep the water clean and I just recently changed the water. They used to go in the water, well one did all the time.

Please help. They were also eating each other, because when I first got them they never ate bloodworms, now I keep them full with live worms.

Thanks
Glenn

What r your water temps? They should be below 70F. That could be a reason for not going into the water. It could be to warm.

It sounds like one of the newts was shedding, and the other was just eating the shed.

The water temps are right on 70...I'm trying to keep it lower with ice cubes and cooling the tank...Even when at 65 they woudl not go in tank. I'll try again.

Would the Ph of the water matter for them not going in the tank? I have never tested the PH.

Can anyone think of any other reason why they would not go in the water? I dropped the temp. down to 64 today by using ice and they moved even less

In the FAQ, there is a whole list of possible reasons that firebellies might not go in the water (look under "Behavior"). There is also a whole list of things you can do to encourage more aquatic behavior:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

(Message edited by jennewt on April 17, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back