Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skinny Fire Belly Newt

joe

Reaction score
I've noticed recently that one of my 3 FBN (C.o.) has been losing weight and refusing to eat. While my other 2 seem to be healthy and ALWAYS willing to eat.

I'm feeding Live blood worms every other day.
69386.jpg
69387.jpg

J

jennifer

Was the thin one eating previously? Or are these relatively newly-acquired?

If the newt refuses to go into the water, you could try setting up a shallow dish of the live worms. Or try hand-feeding with a tweezers (chopped earthworm) or an eyedropper (live blackworms). I would guess that what your pet store calls live bloodworms are actually blackworms, by the way.

joe

Reaction score
They are all relativley new, 2 months I've had them. He was previously eating actually he/she was more water bound than the other two, and even hunted ghost shrimp. Since he/she decide not to swim around anymore is when it started not to eat and lose weight. My other two newts very Rarely go in the water themsekve. I do hand feed all three. How can I tell the difference between blackworms and bloodworms?

J

jameswei

Black worms are black colored worms, and blood worms are crimson centipede like insects.

A

alexandra

hey i was really looking at the picture and i saw the card deck lol i love seeing those things!!
talker.gif

J

joan

Alexandra, try to stick to the topic at hand.

Bloodworms are rarely available live in the US. They're usually BRIGHT red, and usually available frozen. These are frozen insect larvae (they don't have legs). Blackworms are usually a dark red color. If your pet store is offering them in mass quantities, I'd almost guarantee they're blackworms.

Have you tried other foods, like waxworms, chopped nightcrawlers, etc? If it was eating in the past, and you haven't changed the setup, you might be able to get it to eat again.

J

jennifer

Photos of blackworms versus bloodworms can be seen here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

It's a common problem that when newts become land-bound, they are more difficult to feed. For some strange reason, some prefer to starve than to go back in the water. So there are really two other questions, in addition to the feeding question... why did they become land-bound, and how to get them back in the water? These questions are in the Health & Behavior FAQ:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

In addition to a shallow dish of blackworms, you could also try a few very small crickets or other small insects. It might help to separate the non-eater from the other two newts, as the others may intimidate it and make the non-eating worse.

joe

Reaction score
I'm going to go to my Local Pet Store that I bought and pick up some waxworms and Blackworms first thing in the morning. I will also try and get a plastic critter keeper, since they come with a lid and are relativley inexpensive to QT him until he recovers a bit. I don't understand what caused him to stop eating, I didn't change ANYTHING in the tank. Is there any tests I can have the vet I work for do? Or Meds that maybe can be given if it were a bacterial infection?

I'll be following the advise in the FAQ to hopefully try to get him to eat and more water bound again. As for the other two as long as they eat, even if I hand feed them, they can stay on land.

I'm sure I'll be posting again in the near future with any problems or successes.

(Message edited by joerags3 on August 27, 2006)

K

karen

Hi Joe,
One of my nvv newts stopped eating, became land-bound and very lethargic and got very skinny at the beginning of the summer. I don't know how much luck you will have with a vet, since most of them have limited experience with newts or salamanders. However, the second vet I took my newt to prescribed a calcium supplement (used in a 10 ml water bath) as well as a medicine called baytril. I don't know if either of them really helped, but my newt pulled through, after not eating for about a month. He's still skinny, but his appetite has increased alot and he's back to spending most of his time in the water. You may want to inquire about those options. Hope he gets better!

joe

Reaction score
Well I seperated him out from everyone this morning in a 2.5 Gallon tank with a little bit over an inch of water and a "land" gravel portion that is still semi-submerged. He did eat a SINGLE black worm when I tried feeding him, though he wasn't goin straight up to devour it. I tried wax worms yesterday in the other tank and he didnt want any. The other two newts still look fat today, not bloat fat, just chunky. Taking it day by day, maybe this skinny one will be better on his own rather than with the other two in the long run.

K

karen

I always feed my 2 newts separately because one is a very hearty, aggressive eater and one is more of a "hunter"- takes his time, not as quick. This way, I know exactly how much they're both eating and theres no fighting over the worms or intimidation.

joe

Reaction score
I have good news to report I got my CFB to start eating again, last night was a huge success! On first attempt to feed he took a big mouthful of blackworms, he ate about 1/2ml of worms before he refused anymore. Now a new question has sprung up, is a 2.5 gallon setup too small for one CFB? I have to find or make a screen top for this tank I learned that he can easily climb out of the propped open glass lid.

J

joan

I think that if you can maintain water quality in a 2.5, then it's not too small. But again, you'll have to test the water pretty regularly.

Glad to hear he ate. Small step for Joe, HUGE step for CFB!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1