Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! PLEASE!

J

joshua

i have 3
1 1 of my fire bellied newts bellie has turned from bright orange to pale yellow.why?
2.how long does it take them to mate(ive had mine since April 1st 2005)
3. i caught my male newt biting stretchy stuf off of its tail
PS.by the way, are they ment 2 yawn?

J

jeff

1. I'm not exactly sure in regards to cynops, but it may be diet related (it is in B. orientalis).

2. Mating will occur if the animals are of age and are being kept in a set-up that meets their requirements. Simulating their natural seasonal changes might also be necessary.

3. The "stretchy" stuff is most likely it's shedding skin. This is normal behavior.

TJ

Reaction score
Yes, they "yawn" -- especially after feeding
biggrin.gif

See:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7/8039.html

Here are a couple pics of Japanese giant salamanders "yawning":

34316.jpg

34317.jpg

M

melissa

yup newts yawn. its so cute. mostly my boy is the one that does the yawning. probaly tired of his girlfriend nagging him lol! about the breeding thing, i got my newts last year in november and they started breeding about a month ago, but theve stopped now
sad.gif
hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1