Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water readings

K

karen

I think my tank is finally cycled...the pH is 6.4, both the ammonia and nitrite levels are zero. But the nitrate level is zero too. Is this odd, shouldn't the nitrate level be more than zero? If so, what should I do?

J

jennifer

Yes, the nitrate should be above zero. Did you have ammonia/nitrite readings above zero during the process? Do you have live plants that may be consuming the nitrate?

K

karen

My ammonia readings were always at zero but the nitrite readings were on the high side (posted several times about this)- they went from 0.25 ppm to 2.0 ppm. After waiting and several partial water changes, the nitrites finally dropped to zero, but now the nitrates are too. I do have several live plants in the tank (10 gallon, only filled with 5 gallons of water). Can a zero nitrate level be bad for the newts? If so, what can I do?

J

jennifer

It's certainly not harmful. I wonder if the test kit is working properly. You might want to take a water sample to a pet store and see if they confirm your readings. Plants will consume nitrates, but I've never seen them get it down to zero.

K

karen

Thank you very much for your help Jennifer. I just redid the nitrate test, I think I may have forgotten to shake the nitrate solution #2. The new test shows a nitrate level of 10 ppm, still low but not zero.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1