Eggs cont'd

I

iced01

It has been 1 day since my female red spotted newt has started laying eggs. There were only 5 eggs laid. I've read that they can lay as much as 200, is there something wrong with my newt?

No there is nothing wrong with your newt. Unlike frogs most newts lay 1-10 eggs a day over several months

My male spotted newt is still courting and assumably breeding with the female even when she is laying eggs, is this a problem?

And by the way, would anyone know the percentage of eggs that will actually grow into a newt and breed in the wild and in captivity.

The continued courtship is normal. The percentage that grows to adulthood will be somewhere between 0 and 100%. I'm not trying to be funny here; in captivity both extremes are entirely possible. Eastern newts have few duds and I have never seen them produce any abnormal larvae, but they are prone to inexplicable disasters that wipe out the whole lot. In the wild, 0% is still possible, or some small percent makes it to adulthood.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back