Unknown Newts

S

sharon

Yes, go figure, the petstore didn't know what kind of newts they had.

Both are thinner than a wood pencil, one of them is maybe a third the size of a wooden pencil. One is about the length of my pinky finger, the other thicker newt is a bit longer.

I'm guessing they are some type of eastern newt. (I'm in Arizona) The petshop had a heat lamp on them (OH GOD), crickets that were 4 times wider than the biggest newts head, adult guppies, again to big and meal worms - again WAY to big.

FYI I didn't pay for these but I didn't steal them but uh I didn't really tell the truth either.

I had planned on buying some newts but I thought they would be bigger.

I have bloodworms and newt pellets. I have a 20 gl tank filled 80% full with two floating docks.

but seeing the itty bitty size of these guys worries me that they'll never find food in a tank that size.

What should I do? After some 'net reading, I'm not sure thats the right set up for these guys anyway, but I figured that much water keep newts cool in this hot state.

I'm about to evict my red belly pacu from his hospital tank (another mercy thing) a 2 gl affair and drop these guys in it and set that inside the full 20 gl tank to keep it cool enough. (not submerged, I'll set the 2 gl on some rocks or a log)

What do you guys think?

Sharon

I can try to get photos but my camera isn't the best and posting pictures here is difficult for me, could you give me your email address so I send one to you? You could post it here for me if you know how to do that kind of stuff.

I don't want to give my e-mail address in public. You can PM me but you can't send pics on a PM.

Chinese firebellies (Cynops orientalis) can certainly be that small, and eastern newts (Notophthalmus) can also. I can't think of any other species that a petshop would have that would be that small. I think if you look at the caresheets in CC or google up some photos of these species, you'll probably have your ID.

Are the newts happy to stay in water, or clinging to land?

I understand Ryan - if you don't mind emailing me with it, you can email me at Sgrey7399@aol.com and I can easily email you pictures from there.

They are hiding under the rocks in the water and they seem happy in the water.

I did get a couple of decent pics to share.

Sharon

Alright I sent you an e-mail Sharon, just attach the pics and I'll post them.

Cool! I'll post them either later tonight or tomorrow morning, I gotta run right now though!

Here are Sharon's pictures, I'm just posting them for her.
82564.jpg
82565.jpg

82566.jpg
82567.jpg

They look like the Peninsula Newt Notophthalmus viridescens piaropicola from Florida

The lighter brown newt has virtually no yellow or orange to his belly but has the same delicate sprinkling of black spots and the same black line that runs along the side of their head and seemingly through their eye but that is their pupil.

I've been alternating daily or intend to alternate daily, blood worms, brine shrimp and shrimp pellets.

I clean the tank daily, its easy with the turkey baster.

Anyone got any tips?

They're kind of skinny. Are they eating OK? What are you feeding them?

When I got some WC eastern newts, they arrived looking like these: very skinny and spindly. They'll fatten up quickly with a good diet. They are certainly Notophthalmus, but I can't see the color (red spots, or no?) well enough to speculate on which regional variant they might be.

Is the setup they are shown in just for photography, or is this their setup? I would recommend deeper water.

(Message edited by jennewt on April 21, 2007)

No that is their set up. I can deepen the water, thats no problem. I have a 20 gl long waiting for them, if you think they need it.

I'm trying to dig the big one out for a good look but the smaller one has no red spot/orange spots at all.

Ok the bigger and darker one does have a row of orange spots going down each side, off center of the spine. There are spots just behind the head on either side and the continue back to the rear legs and stop.

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back