New egg case from Clatskanie. OR

E

ellena

So I know from the last time I had eggs that these ARE salamanders since they have the gills (see pics) right?

Heres the pics....

they are wiggling a lot and seem ready to come out any time!

57347.jpg

57348.jpg

Where's clatskanie? Is it near mt. hood? I know I'm to lazy to look it up.

Ahhh you are in Gresham. Ok think HWY 30 out past Rainer and St. Helens, OR. Towards the coast....

so I did some reference checking in "Amphibians of Washington and Oregon" and the only salamander that I can find that matches as far as location and egg mass is the Northwestern Salamander (Ambystoma Gracile). Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks!

(Message edited by jinx on April 13, 2006)

I would say it's certainly possible they are gracile. Definitely caudates. If that's the only sal in the right range that lays egg masses... that's a pretty convincing ID.

Do you know how long it takes for them to hatch out? Ive been reading and looking around but since I dont know how old they are its hard to tell. The mass is still really firm and they are so big that they seem curved in their little egg cases... I would think anytime now, but again with the mass so firm how do they get out?

Again, I don't know any specifics on this species. I can say that those in your photos above are late-stage embryos, but not ready to hatch yet. I would guess about a week from the photos they could start to hatch, or it could take longer depending on temperature and species(some species develop slower or hatch at a more advanced stage).

Will taking batches of eggs from the wild be harmful to the environment?

Where I found these guys there was over 15 egg cases, some larger than this one!! I don't think it would be harmful the environment since there was so many and the area that they were in is FULL of bullfrogs and turtles so at least I know these guys will make it.
happy.gif

Oh and here are more pics... this first one was taken on the 13th
57576.jpg

and then right after I typed my last message I went to check on them and one egg was released from the mass! The little larvae is floating around still in its egg case, but detatched from the group. Is that normal?
57577.jpg

and here is the group of them still together taken today.
57578.jpg

When there are many egg masses present, I don't think taking one is environmentally harmful. I would say it is less harmful than removing a single adult from the population. However, it may be a bit crazy to take this many eggs, from the standpoint of being able to raise them. The larger the number of larvae, the more likely a disaster due to crowding issues. Also, captive-raised sals should not be returned to nature, so you're kind of stuck with them. Read thru this so you can avoid some of the potential disasters:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/why_larvae_die.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back