Red-Spotted Newt Substrate

C

caitlin

I'm very new to newts (harhar), but I'm having some trouble with choosing a substrate. We're using moss right now, but we never see him, so we'd like to go to a more solid substrate. We live in New York City, so soil from around here is out of the question. I'm thinking about Lizard Litter Jungle Mix, but I wasn't sure if it's good for him. He's still an eft, pretty little, and the pet store people said that he couldn't use the sand because he might ingest it and it would cause a blockage. They suggest lizard carpeting, which so isn't going to happen. It's ugly and I've heard it might hurt his skin. So yeah, um, long question short: lizard litter jungle mix good or no? Thanks for any help!

http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/design.html

http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/FAQhou.shtml

These links should answer all your questions about substrat.

The short answer (not necessarily what the above links will tell you)is that you should jsut use coconut fiber. I've tried lizard litter jungle mix before and i nearly lost a tiger because of it. Lizard Little Jungle mix dries up too fast and requires too much watering. Coconut fiber, is cheap, easy to maintain (you dont have to water it as much) and is free of chemicals and biological containmants.

cheers,

Even with the (near) adult spotted newts, they tend to hide a lot when on land. It's natural for them to do so. Have you tried "training" your newt? Always mist the tank at the same time and provide food at that time too?

I agree with James that coconut fiber retains moisture better and is cheaper. I have used the Jungle mix lizard litter, but I was mixing it with coconut fiber.

If you cannot see the newt, are you sure it is eating? Also, is it still an eft (which must stay terrestrial) or could it be an adult (which could be kept aquatic)? See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Notophthalmus/N_viridescens.shtml

Thanks for the info on the coconut fiber!

He's definitely still an eft, and no, I haven't tried misting and feeding at the same time. That's something I'll try. I'm also thinking of getting some flightless fruit flies; I had a lot of trouble finding something he would eat, though he will eat some frozen (but not freeze-dried) bloodworms. I know he's eating because the bloodworms I put in his water dish disappear overnight.

I personally don't mind him hiding; mostly the ones who mind are the people who are paying for all his stuff. He belongs to the family I work for (I'm a nanny), and I'm the only one who ever sees him! Really, I just don't like the moss and want to try something else. Plus, I read somewhere that it might not be that good for him.

Another question: we have the exo-terra 12x12x12 glass terrarium. Is that big enough to put another eft in, or should we just leave him by himself?

Thanks again for your info!

In my experience, my efts were completely unwilling to enter a water dish to feed. They were hydrophobic in the extreme. This leaves me still suspecting that perhaps your animal is old enough to adapt to aquatic conditions. Sometimes they are ready for water even when they still have some eft-like coloration. I assume you are judging his "eft-ness" based on color?

I think that tank would be large enough for two of them. Moss can be acidic, but if you soak it several times before using, it's perfectly OK to use. Sals are less stressed when they have a place to hide, so you do need to provide some kind of hiding place. I would suggest using a bit of the moss, but perhaps less of it, and have it over a layer of substrate.

It will probably be willing to eat fruit flies, but they are not the greatest nutritionally. They need to be dusted. Really, if it's eating bloodworms, those are better, I'd stick with those.

Thanks again for your input!

I was definitely planning on keeping some of the moss (just not as much) in the tank. We also have a little cave thing for him to hide in.

I am judging his eft-ness on his color. I'm hoping he'll stay an eft for a bit longer, since setting up an aquatic tank right now would be a real pain.

Meanwhile, his appetite seems to have decreased again. What else could I feed him that wouldn't go in his water? The people I work for aren't keen on live crickets or something like that. I'm thinking that perhaps after we add his substrate I can just add in fruit flies to his diet, so he'll eat both bloodworms and flies. I'll try to experiment a bit with things he might eat.

I really do appreciate all the help I've gotten here. Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back