Newts fighting, i`m worried?

H

hannah

yesterday i let my boyf feed the newts andhe was fascinated and watched for awhile, one newt is really fat and the other is very skinny so i thought he was only young. the big newt was up munching on all the food and when the skinny one tried to get some he chased him into the water and bit him on the head. they always sleep curled up together so i was surprised when one got vicious. i`m worried the small one will die of starvation as i think this has been going on for some time. i dont know the sex of either if them so could that be a factor????? please help, i dont have another tank to seperate them when i feed them.

me also have 2 CFBN of different sizes, luckily they not fighting, me trying to feed them in separate containers to help the more skinny catch up.

both are females

i had two baby firebellys and they did the same just feed one in a container and then put them back in when both are done and calm.

i dont have another container or substitute, and they take ages to eat, any more suggestions? x x

Try putting food in two places in the tank. This way they can have a pile each. If the big one goes for the second pile, just keep him away with a stick/finer etc.
Chris

You might try using a tank divider. They are reasonable in price; if and when the smaller one catches up in growth you can easily take it back out.

its normal for the little fellas to argue about food. theyre preditors. our newts have arguements and then kiss and make up.i spread out the food dropping it in front of them. also feeding crickets and guppies they seem to lose track of what the others are doing and concentrate on the hunt.feed live food.

Feeder fish not reccomended. Possible disease vectors. Personally, i feed both my orientalis individually at the water surface using a stick.
The water level is the same height as my plants which makes it possible for them to surface feed.

Sam

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back