Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Redback salamanders... need help

T

tom

I have no idea how to feed the five wild redbacks that i caught. How much do i feed them, how do i feed them, how often do i feed them, and how do i know if they are eating?

J

jeff

Perhaps you should have found out this kind of information before you took them from their environment
nono.gif
!

Try small, cut up earthworms, or 1-2 week crickets, depending upon the size of these salamanders. With any luck you might be able to keep them alive.

P

paris

tom-
jeff is right, if you dont know what to feed these guys do you at least know how to keep them? what are you keeping them in currently? for a first sal these really arent the best choice -they arent too hard once youve got the basics down but the food is the main issue that makes these not good starters. you may not know this but these salamanders are lungless, so if not kept cool and damp enough they will die from lack of oxygen exchange. i have 3 and they are good eaters but keeping them in good food supply isnt easy, i have plenty of springtails but it takes more to feed them-small crickets are good food items, plus also you can offer live black worms on a plate. i am not guessing to far that you didnt buy these in a pet shop-so you probably collected them locally, you can get 'field plankton' from the same area they came from. if you pick up leaf litter and old wood from the area and shake them out you will get lots of insects-just choose ones that are small enough to eat.

T

tom

Im keeping them in a 16 inch by 10 inch tank with damp paper towels on the bottom, i mist them daily. The temerature is always about 60 degrees Farenheit. I have five salamanders. They have a rotten piece of log in one corner, two flat rocks in another two corners, and a lizard hiding log in the fourth corner. I clean their tank once every other week.

I tried earthworms, they were a big success! They were all gone the next day. (I cut them up into tiny bits by the way)

E

ethan

Redbacks can be very territorial--male, female, doesnt matter much to them. I've used wingless fruit fly cultures for them, you might be able to buy those online and cycle through the cultures as needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1