Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fruit flies??? Maybe???

S

s.

Since we got our Salamanders (yellow spotted and a red back) it seems that we also have an infestation of fruit flies (or something that is small and irritating). My question to you is...what can I do to get rid of these without hurting the salamanders? there must be something non-toxic i can use as they are starting to become quite a problem in my otherwise BUG FREE house...LOL

G

george

I'm curious as to where do fruit flies come from? I have some in my tiger sals tank as of lately as well, and I had a huge infestation of them in my emperor scorpion tank before. Are they harmful?

S

s.

probably not harmful but really really irritating...LOL. i want to be rid of them but i want to make sure that i do it safely so that nothing is harmed. I think they come from the fact that the soil is moist, just a regular breeding ground for them.

A

alan

Most likely fungus gnats (Sciarid flies). There are biological controls commercially available, but the simplest solution is to keep the substrate on the dry side.

J

jennifer

The only way I've found to manage them is to completely change the substrate. Or just ignore them.

E

edward

If the substrate is moist it is usually fungus gnats but if the substrate is dry then you may have phorid flies. These look like fruit flies and run in short bursts. The best way to eliminate these is to keep the area clean (remove dead cricket bodies, etc).

Ed

J

jesse

well, wheni used to have small plethodontids the fungus mite were a very easy and free source of food for these guys, they would snap them up. same goes for the newly morphed cynops. so id have to say that they are not that bad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1