Latin names for these...

J

jenny

hi,

can someone tell me the latin names for a chinese spotted newt, and a pigmy newt because i cannot find anything on a pigmy newt and there are lots of spotted newts. also... a paddle tailed newt which is i think (Pachytriton labiatus ) on this site there is only pictures so does anyone know the size they get to - size take - tpye tank and what they eat etc?

thanks!

pygmy newt, Triturus pygmaeus

Paddle-Tailed Newt, Pachytriton brevipes

"chinese spotted newt" is not found please recheck your species and try again
happy.gif

i found this site http://www.livingunderworld.org/caudata/database/salamandridae/pachytriton/

its the only one i really found about housing them. there is info near the bottom about it.

which out of the three newts i said in the first post do you think is the most unusual. and is it okay to get them. the paddle tail one seems quite unusual it says they are only just starting to come into the pet trade. but a lot of people werent happy when i got a palm salamander partly because they are taken from their environment so this isnt the same with these newts is it?

the pygmy newt is a marbled newt is that right?

with that one i think the info page said 48 inch tank for 3 pairs. does that mean an 18 inch tank i have is big enough?

the pet shop said to phone back tomorrow with the latin names (but im impatient) but i guess ill have to, to find out the spotted newt name.

The pygmy newt is Triturus pygmaeus (pygmy marbled newt).
Pachytriton are collected in the wild, as are most pet trade newts, particularly those from Asia.
The chinese spotted newt is probably Paramesotriton caudopunctatus, usually called spot-tailed warty newt/dog-faced newt - there are pics on the caudata-culture site in the species section.

The name Paddle-tailed Newt is given to any species of Pachytriton that turns up in the UK pet trade but they are normally labiatus, and to confuse things even further the name has also been given to Cynops ensicauda in the past.

not sure exactly what you mean by working out the kinks in them but im pretty sure i dont have any problems with them.

the reason im asking about the ones which are most unusual i think is pretty self explanitory. i want one that is most unusual.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back