Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eating jungle mix by accident

H

howard

I fed my sal last night and when he was going after the crickets he was getting some of the jungle mix in his mouth and swallowing it. Is that bad for him? How can you control that, besides feeding with a pair of tweezers? Thanks!

S

shaun

Is jungle mix forest bed, or some other coconut fibre based product? If so, it isn't bad for salamanders, as it's fully organic. Nice to know that you've seen him eat now!

H

howard

He ate like a pig to be honest, I put 10 pinhead crickets in and then he ate them all in a matter of minutes, then he ate 3 wax worms and one waxworm this morning. He is eating fine I guess. I read to put in enough crickets he would eat overnight so I guess I did the right thing by putting 10 in. My pet store only had pinheads, but next time I am going to get medium, I think they were too small for him. The wax worms he wouldn't eat unless I hand fed them with a pair of tweezers. I guess that is okay also. Anyone please respond if I am doing something wrong or you have any suggestions I should do or change. Also when should I feed him crickets again, 2 days, 3 days? I think I read it also has to do with the temp in the tank. Also how long do the wax worms stay alive in the container in the fridge? Thanks!

H

howard

BTW, this is the description on the Jungle Mix bag:

Jungle Mix provides a natural living environment for terrarium animals and plants. It is a unique blend of sterilized virgin organic soil, fine grain sand, vermiculite, peat moss, orchid bark and green tree moss. Jungle Mix is organic, natural and perfect for burrowing reptiles and plants. It promotes breeding, nesting and egg incubation.

dot

Reaction score
Most substrates, like Shaun said, are organic and are designed specifically to be able to be broken down by animals in the event of accidental injestion.

K

kaysie

Besides, in the wild, do you think they dont accidently eat leaves and dirt and sticks? One time my pacman frog ate a whole stick. like, pinky sized. he made it just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1