Temperature!

V

vf

My cynops orientalis's tank is stooping a little below the recommended temperature (presently at 52F).

He seems fine (eating, swimming, active), but I wouldn't want to leave him like that, especially as it may well get colder. I do not have central heating and my flat can be on the chilly side - my question is, would you recommend I slip a 25watt aquarium heater into the water to keep it stable at at least 58F, or is there another method you could recommend, bearing in mind that the tank is not near any windows or sources of a cold draught at the moment... I live in Scotland, it's just starting to get chilly for autumn here :D

Thanks!

No, no heater, Your newt would probably fine down to near freezing. Mine have gone down to 4ºcelcius no problems at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back