?elderly? paramesotriton

M

michelle

I have had my newt since I was 8, 21 years now. I think it is either fuzhong or guangxi. I don't know the sex, but I decided it was a girl when I got it, so I refer to it as "her". It seems that as time goes on, it takes longer and longer to get her to move in response to stimuli. When I see her not moving, I start to panic, thinking she's passed on. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my newt's attention more effectively? Food doesn't seem to work consistently, since she's not always hungry. And how long is too long for her to stay still, or to stay out of the water(when should I start to worry)? I don't want to drive her nuts in her golden years just because I'm a worrywart.

The best thing would be to observe the newt during the night. Warty newts are notoriously nocturnal. If she's active at night, I wouldn't worry at all.

By the way, I'm VERY impressed with the longevity of your newt. I've heard of newts living that long, but never before for a Paramesotriton. Good job!

Thanks!

I found shed skin today, and she was feisty when I did her housekeeping tonight. She lunged at me a few times trying to bite my fingers, which is great.

They can get a little strange when they are about to shed. Can't be fun to lose your skin!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back