Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick, sick Firebelly!!

A

amber

I have a sick newt here!!

Ive got three firebellies, one of which is a suspected male. Hes smaller than the other two, but is bigger in all the right places..

I was in the process of cleaning the tank, and i had left the three of them in a container of tap water - i usually do this, and they deal with it fine. Then i noticed white foamy stuff around his 'gills' (the place where the poison comes out, i think..). It was bubbly and stuff, so i asked my mum what it would be (freaking out slightly). She said it might be skin, and i touched it with my finger. It came of gently, and i figured it was cause the little guy was stressed.. not skin, i dont think.

I put him back in the clean tank, aged water and all, with the others. He's not moving a lot.. the others are unaffected.

Details: He was kinda 'floating' before :S Head up to the surface, mouth slightly open. Looking very sick.. i thought he mightve swallowed some bubbles or something and titled him a few times, and bubbles did come out. He sorta floats on the bottom now that the bubbles are gone. But hes all dopey-looking... when i touch him he just bobs in the water, and if hes turned upside down he doesnt notice. He might wiggle after 10 seconds or something...

:X Whats wrong with my baby?! I cant figure it out, but he sure as hell looks sick. Ugh.. Please help me :S Do i need to burp him or something?

PS: Hi Jeniffer
happy.gif

K

kim

Sorry to here that he died
sad.gif

Just kep a very good eye on the others and take them to the vet if anything else appears!

A

amber

Will do, tho i cant take him to the vet...

What do you think happened? :|

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1