Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Land lovin little chaps- help!

E

ed

My newts have now settled down a bit, but are still in the land phase! How long does this dry and shy pahse last in young newts? I would love to see them swimming.

Hope you can help

N

nesaraj

Ed,
First, I am assuming you refer to chinese firebelly newts. Second, I am also assuming that you have checked your water quality (no ammonia, no nitrates, no nitrites, reasonable pH, low water hardness, and if possible, no/low phosphates).
How long the land-loving phase lasts is indeterminate; it is up to the newts in question. New newts will often stay on land until they become acclimated to their surroundings. There are ways to accelerate the acclimation process. One is to gradually remove more and more of the land area. Another is to spray them with clean, dechlorinated water so they get used to water.
However, I advise against using these techniques with injured or highly stressed newts. Remember to always think like the newt; you have to become one with the newt.

E

ed

Thanks I shall try and be patient! The water has been treated with dechlorinate stuff. I will test it tomorrow. They have only been in the tank for a week and were fairly stressed when I got them. I guess they are still getting used to life here!

H

hayden

Ed i thought you had Easterns...If its that case remember they stay terrestrial for 1-3 years after hatching...This stage is called Efts.

E

ed

Whats the difference between Easterns and Chinese? Mine are black, inch and a half long with deep orange mottled bellies???

Any good?

N

nesaraj

From your description, it sounds like you have Cyops Orientalis (firebelly newts; of course you could also have one of the other firebelly species). Check the caudata culture information sheets for the differences between Eastern newts and the various firebelly species.

B

beckie

sometimes its just what they like, i have 3 CFBs and two live the water but the other still prefers the land. i'm thinking its just their preference.

J

jaia

Is it harmful to the newt if they avoid water or stay in there land phase? I thought after a certain time they were suppose to be mainly aquatic??

J

jennifer

Firebellies have been maintained on land for years, but most people find that they eat better (and grow faster) when they are aquatic. Also in the water they are generally less shy and more active.

J

jaia

So it isn't cruel or mean to make their land areas disappear or smaller so they swim more. I have mine almost 10 days now and they are avoiding water. Only the one is eating and the other is an amputee....

thank you

J

jennifer

Ever heard the expression "cruel to be kind"? Considering that they usually do better aquatically, I don't see it as cruel. (Note: this applies only to Cynops species. For some other species it certainly would be cruel to force them to be aquatic when they don't want to.) It can be done in a gentle manner, with the land receding, or becoming less hospitable, gradually. Giving them shallow water and keeping their skin wet are additional ways to make the transition to water non-stressful.

J

jaia

Thanks......I was going to redo it, but I think I will leave it as is for now ..... thanks for the replies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1