Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newts on the move

A

anthony

Hello all,

I need some advice on moving newts long-distance. I will be moving from Chicago to Los Angeles in a few weeks. I have two newts, a southern crested and a paddletail. My furniture, etc. will all be shipped out, and I will be flying. So, it seems there are really only two good options:

1) Carry the newts on board the plane. That way they will stay with me. But it will probably be a couple of days before I can get new tanks set up on the LA end. So I am worried that they will suffer in the meantime.

2) Have a friend (experienced in newt-sitting) foster them for a few days after I leave and then ship them out next-day when I get the new tanks ready. Of course, I don't like the idea of the newts being in a fex-ex truck, but it seems from the Caudate Central article on shipping newts that this is reasonably safe. And this way, after a mere 18 hours or so, they will go from complete set-up to complete set-up.

Any advice will be much appreciated. I am especially concerned about the paddletail, who NEVER leaves the water -- will he be ok in sphagnum for a while? How does one explain newts to airport security? Are the conditions in shipping abusive?

J

jennifer

I think you have the two best options pretty well nailed down. I have done both of the them.

1. If you carry them, pack them in small food containers, maybe in a small cooler or insulated lunch box. Sending them thru the xray with your carryon will not likely harm them. If you are unlucky and get the detailed airport search, you may have to open the containers for inspection, but I doubt they will give you any grief. Just tell them it's wet moss or something. And if it looks like a food container, they might not even ask you to open it.

2. When I moved x-country I didn't want to hassle with animal care/packing and all the other details of moving at the same time, so I had them cared for, then shipped. Be sure to give the caretaker an insulated shipping box and cold pack. USPS Express mail is usually the way to go. If it's hot in LA, have them held at the PO instead of delivered (but you have to label them VERY clearly with this info - postal people don't look very carefully).

The paddletail will be ok in moss for a couple of days. If you need to, you can set up a temporary plastic tub for it until you can get the real tank set up.

Conditions in shipping are not abusive as long as you have the container and box well padded so that the newt isn't jolted around. Even if the box is dropped, this isn't abusive as long as it's well padded.

C

carl

i would take them on the plane but will the altitude not damage there ears lol

K

kaysie

I believe most species don't have ears as we think of ears. This has been a debate here before, but more about hearing than actual ear structures.

A

anthony

Hi all,

First, sorry for the accidental double posting of my message.

Second, one way or another, they will have to fly. Next-day USPS or FedEx would both use jets. And I imagine conditions in the passenger cabin of a commercial jet will be gentler than on a cargo plane. I'm just worried about the delay in getting a tank ready once I get to LA. But if they will manage in the moss with a water dish for a couple of days, I feel better keeping them with me.

A

anthony

Thanks for all the help. One more question: what kind of cold pack is recommended? Are we talking about the blue gel packs available at drugstores or are there more long-lasting cold packs?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1