Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma vocalization????

K

katherine

I have owned a wild-caught spotted salamander for about 4 months. At first, I had been feeding him wild-caught stuff (mainly ants, but occasionally pill bugs or worms), but I've since become wary of pesticides/bacteria. Now I feed him store-bought crickets and the occasional wax worm.

So, here is the odd thing: twice while being fed, my salamander has distinctly made a very loud, high pitched noise. The first time was while ingesting an ant, and the second time while preparing to strike at a tiny cricket. This seems to be some sort of victory/joy cry. I am perplexed; I have heard that ambystomids do not have vocal cords. How can this be happening? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

(Where I work, we house a bunch of axolotls. I've noticed that these make a sort of gurgling burp if you take them out of water to clean their bowls... and I must say that the chirp my spotted salamander makes is very far removed from this.)

Any insight would be wonderful.

J

joan

East Lansing! Do you go to MSU?? I'm from Lansing too! I work for the USDA on campus.

The 'vocalization' is not a vocalization at all, but a squeak caused by air rushing past the oral cavity. Same way people can make 'farts' with their armpits. Air moving causes a vibration, causing noise. But not necessarily from vocal cords. I have Triturus that do it all the time.

K

katherine

I'm glad to hear my salamander isn't too terribly abnormal.

Indeed, I go to MSU! It's a lovely place, yes?

J

joan

Beautiful, but no salamanders on campus. Lol. I don't think anything but ducks live on the Red Cedar.

Where do you work that there are a bunch of axolotls?

D

david

I was born in East Lansing. The appreciation of salamanders and newts must a local curse (maybe something in the drinking water). My marbled newt sometimes make noises when they surface for air.

K

kate

Joan-

I work in a lab that studies the olfactory systems of salamanders; we work mainly with axolotls, sometimes tiger salamanders... and I think my boss used to study mudpuppies.

I actually hear rumors of crayfish living in the Red Cedar. Somehow.

I had actually planned to go a-salamandering in the Baker Woodlot sometime this week. I don't know if that's technically "campus," but I wonder if it is similarly cursed and will give me no luck.

Now, to talk about my spotted salamander (his name is, by the way, Olive): I've been wondering what sort of activity levels I should expect from him. He sits inside a little cavern of dirt that I forged with my index finger, poking his head out... and he snaps forward to eat once every three days or so. That is the extent of his physical endeavors. I suppose I shouldn't expect him to be skipping about the cage or anything, but I can't help but wonder if he's awfully sick/bored. Should I find him another spotted salamander friend? Should I dig up little plants and put them in his tank?

J

joan

If you want to go herping some time, let me know. It's always more fun with two people.

This lab sounds awesome. If you're willing to give me the name (via Private Messege, if you like), I'd love to know more about it.

Ambystomids in general really do a whole lot of nothing. I see my ambystomids about once a week. Usually to feed them, I have to dig them up. They're not very exciting as far as activity levels are concerned.

I keep pothos in my tank, but mainly for my benefit, not theirs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1