Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Large colonies of fbn

A

alex

sorry to ask about yet another species but i was wounderin how many fbn would fit in my 4foot tank are they happy in big groups and if i do aprox 1/4 land will they use it thanks again and i will make my mind up which species im putting in my tanks soon,would be easier if they werent all so darn cute

J

jennifer

The number would depend on the species. C. orientalis, for example, is much smaller than C. ensicauda. When you say that the tank will be 1/4 land, this usually means that the water level will be half or less - what water depth are you shooting for? The number of animals is somewhat limited by total water volume.

A

alex

am looking at a depth of aprox 9inch the tank is 18, was thinking of cfbn or paddle tails

J

jennifer

If you are thinking about a "colony" then you can scratch paddletails off your list! Even if you have only two, they may fight so much that they would require being separated. For info on behavior and housing, see:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

For cfbn, you could have quite a few in a tank that size, I would say about 10 of them would be the maximum reasonable number. Keep in mind that "pet shop" cfbn often arrive in poor condition and some may be sick. Also, some may "cling to land" in a way that makes it hard to feed them, particularly if you have a very nice land area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1