Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

SNAILS!!

K

kylee

they're taking over.
I have at least 40 and they're all getting big.. and multiplying...
How do I 'get rid ' of them without harming the newts?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

ali

Reaction score
Hi Kylee...your best bet? Grab or net them! Just take them out when you see them, and that's about the best you can do.

rinse your plants WELL (preferrably BEFORE they go in the tank, but do it now to get rid of them) and if wouldn't hurt to clean the filter out. (inside parts if you can)

S

sarah

I'd just get a small net and fish out as many as possible, do this often and keep on top of them.

I

ian

There is a very good way to eliminate all snails from any tank. But that require you to remove your newts from the tank. Might be risky to bring in pathogen. Cause this technique require you to bring in a fish. Clown Loach.

Clown Loach eat lot of snails. If you clean the spot where Clown Loach can't reach, such as filter, Clown Loach will remove all the snails for you. But whether it is worth it or not? I dont know.

ali

Reaction score
The problem with getting a clown loach is that you then own a clown loach, and they get rather large.

ali

Reaction score
(sorry for the double post)

Another idea is...on the off chance that you happen to have an outdoor pond with goldfish in it... they often eat snails too, so you could let one of them inhabit the tank instead for a while, but I'd just take them out manually as many as I could at a time, they aren't really hurting anything unless they're in huge numbers. So, if you just take them out as you see them then it should be alright.

I

ian

yea. especially snails wont grow that fast compare to a planted tropical fish tank. Since newt tank is much colder for them to grow fast. I really dont see snails at newt tank as a problem. Just my tropical fish tank. I can have like 50 of time each week.

S

stefanie

you can build a sort of snail "trap" by tying a piece of lettuce or cucumber to a rock, and putting it in a jar. leave the jar on its side in the tank for a couple hours (or overnight) and a good number of the snails will be eating in the jar. its a lot quicker than using your fingers or a net to get them out, because you're removing a lot of them at once. if you do this regularly, you can keep the snail population pretty low without too much effort.

ali

Reaction score
That is a pretty good idea Stefanie, I never thought of that!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1