Algae issue

K

karen

I've noticed a strange brownish discoloration in certain parts of my tank, along the front glass at at the bottom and a small section (maybe 2" by 4") of gravel near the front of the tank. I've wiped down the tank glass with a paper towel and removed and scrubbed the gravel. Is this algae? And if so, why would it appear in certain parts of the tank and not others. The tank is cycled and I do partial water changes once or twice a week. I checked water readings a few days ago and everything was in normal range. If it is algae (or even if it's not), how can I prevent this discoloration from happening, or at least slow it down? Unfortunately, I have white gravel, which is beautiful, but the down side is it shows the brownish color very easily. If at all possible, I'd prefer to not introduce any new animals (snails etc) into the tank, if there are other alternatives. Thanks.

Karen, I wouldn't "scrub down" the gravel really. Algae isn't really a problem, except that we humans don't think it's very pretty.

Still, algae can mean that maybe there's some things in your water you don't want there, but I wouldn't panic (i have some brown algae growing right now which I'm on my way to take care of).

I would just be sure that you aren't leaving lots of uneaten food, not too much light (although this would normally give you green algae/water) and do a water change. Not a huge deal.

It won't grow everywhere at the same rate.

it happened in some part of the tank most likely because those part receive more light. If the dark side of your tank have no such things, then I think it is very likely algae.

Brown algae are easy to remove. But they grow even under little light. I think it is very likely you are not changing enough water or feeding way too much. How much water do you change every week?

It's off because if anything, the algae is not growing directly under the lighting in the tank. (I have fluorescent lights, not incandescent.) I only have 5 gallons of water in the tank (which is a 10 gallon) and I try to change about half or maybe 40% once a week. Since I feed them blackworms in a feeding dish, there is never any left over waste food but I'm sure some worms have escaped the dish and are in the gravel now. But I'd say that's a minimum since I stand watch while they eat and push any escaping worms back into the dish. I guess I just have to wipe down the glass and clean the offending gravel whenever necessary. I used to have colored gravel, so the algae never showed up as prominently.

I have on the rocks. This stuff is easily scrubbed off. like wat every one said, it might be partly becuase of unwanted waste.

From my experience with freshwater aquariums, I would say you have brown algae(not harmful, but to your point, it is ugly). Unlike other types of algae, most of which thrive on light (sunlight), brown algae occurs when there is a lack of light. In aquariums, lighting the aquarium for 10 to 12 hours a day can stop the growth of brown algae. Other reasons for brown algae can be lack of oxygenation and too high of silicate concentration in the water ( of course, too much food waste also serves to feed the algae once it is established).
I do not know whether this type of lighting is or is not compatible with newt care. My experience with caudates is with terrestial salamanders. But I know for aquariums, adequate lighting does the trick.

10 to 12 hours of light should be alright with newt. I have been doing that with my CFB and they still breed like crazy.

Jan raises a good point, it could be due to lack of oxygenation. I keep my flourescent light on for about eight hours of day (for my plants and my viewing pleasure - the newts could care less). However, I normally have the water level up the the filter outflow so it is quieter (I do this with both tanks because I live in a dorm, and we can't sleep with loud water noise.)

I do sometimes pull up on the filter so it gives some airation. Although I have no "real" reason to do so...common sense tells me that it could be good for the plants if the water is a little more oxygenated, and I feel like the tank stays cleaner with harder water flow.

Also, my tarichas love to play in the bubbles
happy.gif
When I move out in a few months, they're going to get a huge tank and I'm sure I'll get an air pump for fun.

Best of luck with your algae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back