Healing?

T

tonyperron

Hi everyone,

I have an aged but strong paddletail who recently got a nasty cut, I think by swinging his tail against a rock. It got infected and I have been treating him with tetracycline in the tank water. He seems to be improving -- at least he moves his tail now seemingly without pain, is active, eating, and the sore is less "angry" and had not spread or become swollen. My question, though, is what does a properly healing wound look like, how long does it take, and what should I do when the course of antibiotics (according to the package, 5 days) is up and the sore is not fully healed? Do a second round? Switch to a different med.?

Any wound needs time to heal. If it doesn't get worse then just wait for a few days after the end of the antibiotics course. Of course check twice a day to make sure the wound isn't getting worse.

By 5 days, the wound should be covered by skin. The new skin may be white initially. It's probably there already. I don't really know what advice to give on the antibiotics except to point out that your tank will need a month to reestablish proper cycling; in the meantime, there is danger of ammonia and nitrite buildup. I highly recommend testing every few days for the next month.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back