"mama" is hurt

J

joeri

Today I found "mama" my only female pleuro stuck between rocks. Her back is heavely wounded. It has a small scratch, but she's obviously misshaped now.
She had lost some colour when I found her. I have no idea what exactly happened, but she couldn't have been stuck for more than 1 hour max.

I didn't move her, but just the stones around her. It took her some time, but she crawled away by herself. She can move all leggs and her tail. But I can see that it hurts her. At one point I actually thought she was dead. Laying on her back, not moving. When I turned her and brought her to surface she gave signs of live again. I made a new setup for her. Water is only 4cm so hopefully she can't turn on her back again. She doesn't have to do much effort to surface. (she's 17cm long)
In the setup is one little rock that she just tried to climb, but failed. Her backlegs couldn't support her in the climb I'm afraid. After the attempt she crawled backwards into the water and vomited. (mosquito larves)

In the tank is also an airpump and the water comes from her original tank.

I'm devestated by the thought of loosing her as she's my favourite newt. But I keep in mind that might still happen.
What am I to expect? What more can I do for her?
Wish her luck all.

HI Joeri

Sorry I can't offer any advice -Just my best wishes for 'mama'

sick.gif

Joeri, i'm sorry. How did that happen? rocks fell on her? U may wanna look at the thread labelled Medicine.

Samuel

I think I underestimated her strenght. Pleuro's are designed to crawl under stones, but she chose a hole that wasn't ment to be crawled in. As she got stuck and started crawling, a rock shifted and nailed her.

Update on her situation.
After my first post she trew up twice more, but both were short after the first one. The second trow up also contained a white substance, no idea what that is.
I've just refreshed the water a bit and made sure all leftovers were carefuly removed. I've added Aquatan, a product that's desinged to make water suitable for fish and it gives them extra protection for their skin. I often use it for my newts as well.

"mama" is more alive again. Yesterday she was still a bit pale and not moving much. Now I see her exploring her new tank and she has regained her colour. Tonight I will try feeding her, adding extra vitamines and calcium.

Note: she does move in a slow way, trying not to use her backleggs to much, but they do move. Tnx for your support.

I think the number one priority here is not to get the wound infected. Keep up the frequent changes and removal of uneaten food. I would change the setup in the original tank if i were u... stabilising the roucks and removing all sharp stuff... keep us updated!!! Get well soon.

use tamodine on the wound twice a day with a cotton wool bud i had a spanish ribbed just the same which was attacked by my cat she has fully recovered now but it did take time to heal but it was worth it justin

I don't think the small scratch is going to be the problem. The scratch just cracked a little part of the upper skin. It's the way her back looks now that worries me. I hope it's "just" an internal bleeding that causes the swelling and not something that is broken.

It's now been 24h since I found her. She's till alive, but not kicking (yet).

My friend once dropped his CFBN. No idea what the hell he was doing but he just did. The back legs could not move. So something may (i hope not) be brokened. When u said that she doesn't use her back legs is it becuz she totally can'y or becuz she doen't want to?

Sam

Update:

I haven't been able to find Tamodine in my petshop or any other product that I could use for this purpous. I have found a product for humans that I'm using now. In Dutch it's called 'Mercurochrome' and people use it to clean wounds in a painless way. It's not irritating. It doesn't contain alcohol. It's based on water and "benzalkonium bromide". Surfing the web I found products that can be used to clean wounds of animals and they also contained benzal. So I hope it's safe.

I first use the cotton wool to rubb it in, but she was crawling like a madman so I couln't really put in on the right spot. (I'm weak) Now I drop drips on the wounds and she doesn't move. So I hope this will do as well.

BTW: two days ago she climed on the rock by herself! The water is totally removed now as well cause fungus started growing on her wounds. (It's actually tnx to the fungus that I discovered more wounds than the original 1 wound). The tankbottom is now covered with wet kitchenpaper. (don't know for sure that's a correct translation)

"Mama" is a bit more active again. The first days she hardly moved at all, now I see her wandering around her tank sometimes. She starts using her backleggs and taiul more as well. I'm starting to hope for recovery again.

Forgot to say this: she hasn't eaten in almost a week now. I try feeding a bit everyday now. So far no succes. I'm not worried about that... yet.

Ok; an update. Mama is healing. I'm sure now.
She's back in an aquatic setup. She's more alive and has eaten again. The day after she had normal looking poop. That's a good thing cause the red mosquito larves she ate were covered with extra vitamines and calcium.

I decided to give her an aquatic setup again when het skin started looking bursted. Here's a pic of that situation.
8576.jpg

The moment she got aquatic again she started shedding skin and got more alive. Her wound had a crust on it and that did what it does when humans take a bath. It fades and comes loose. Here's a pic when she was 5 in the water
8577.jpg

The next picture I took today. After 3 days in the aquatic setup she totally lost that crust. If you look good you see both wounds that need to be looked after. A huge one on her back and a smaller on her left back legg.
8578.jpg

I change the water everyday to avoid infections. Poop and skin are removed when I notice them. I'm so glad she's hanging on even though her wounds are much bigger then I first assumed. On the other hand, she's using her tail and leggs again without hasitation. I guess nothings broken then after all. :D

Tnx all for your support
Greetz

That looks good and clean
blob.gif

Reckon she's always gonna be marked though but I'm really glad she's pulled through, Joeri.

Nice happy post for the help thread
biggrin.gif

If you are
bowl.gif
, then you can imagine that I'm
rofl.gif

I'm giving it just some more time to make sure it's perfectly healed before she joins her friends again.

For now I know the wound heals and she's eating again. Also she drops eggs now and then. Some days only one, some days 5 or 6. Most of the time she eats them (I don't mind cause they aren't fertilized)
What I'm not sure of (yet) is how good she is in deeper waters. Every day I increase the water a bit when I refresh it. She must show to me she can swim like before. I couldn't put her with her 5 MALE friends again just like that. I'm sure they'll be happy to mate with her asap.

But we're getting there.

I just fed "mama". I took some frozen red mosquitolarves and dipped them in vitamines and calcium. The food was still frozen when placed in her tank and as I turned to get my camera she allready started eating!

Still taped it though. It's nice to see her crawling, gives me confidence about her condition. Unfortunatly I forgot who to contact for uploading movies. It's 14,278 KB. No music.

Last update on mama's situation.
In the last two weeks the wound has been healing fine. She still has a scar as predicted by Claire.

Last week I gave her a male compagnon at night and another male the night after. It didn't took long for them to get busy
biggrin.gif

I saw the first male producing some sperm, but as it got late I couldn't watch it all.

I transfered mama on newyearseve back to her old tank. There were some horny guys waiting for her.
10184.jpg

10185.jpg

Later that night I saw sperm on three places in the tank. Lucky lucky. Hope she got time to pick it up as well.

Oh, and as I went to get her out of her quarantine, I found this:
10186.jpg

10187.jpg

Today I found even more eggs in the tank.
Picked most of them out, 101 eggs. Fingers crossed now. Not sure if these are good eggs. Have no experience with that (yet).

Greetz
and thank you al for the support
Joeri

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back