Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

California Newt

A

amber

I just bought a California newt, and while I have all kinds of info on them I can't seem to find what temp. they prefer. Right now the water is about 68 degrees farenheit. Should I be cooling it down?

N

nate

68F is about the maximum temp you'd want to give it throughout the summer. If you can keep it cooler, great. If not, it should still be fine. For winter, it's best to let that temperature drop at least into the mid 50s

apples

Reaction score
Hey Amber, just curious, where did you buy the California Newt? I really want to get one, but haven't found anyone who sold captive bred guys.

A

amber

I'm a little ashamed to say I bought her at the local pet store ; ) It's the strangest thing, she's deathly afraid of live food, she'll only eat the frozen kind. : P Good luck finding one.

O

oscar

angry.gif
i have had a califonia newt for a while now and i just moved him into bigger tank and he discovered land in the new tank so hes been on, whic i thoght was cool, but latly hes been not in the water and a couple days ago he sheded his skin and now his back is turning white, what the hell is goin on, please help thanks.

R

roni

Hi Amber
happy.gif

I live in California myself and was wondering what Pet store you purchased the newt at. And if you can please give me the address and name I would appreciate it greatly !

You can email me Specialtii@yahoo.com

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1