Firebelly Escaped

ryan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ryan
Ive had this firebelly for awhile and i have NEVER seen it take advantage of the land i provide. It never crawls on the walls either. This morning i woke up to find that it had escaped out of a small hole on the top of my tank.
Where do newts go when they escape? Im in a college dorm room, so there isnt much space for it to hang out in.

(Message edited by gizmo688 on February 19, 2007)

But like, should i stick to looking closer to the ground, or are tall bookshelves airvents in the ceiling possibilities too?

Dark corners of the floor. Behind furniture. Down air vents. You can try putting pieces of foil with water on them on the floor.

Ryan,
Mine escaped one time and I was amazed of the route it had taken. It climbed up and out of the tank, horizontally across a counter then vertically (I mean straight down) cabinet drawers and didn't fall! When I finally found him he was walking on the floor towards me. I would check everywhere possible you would be shocked to see the angles it had taken. There is an article in this website of what to do if your newt escapes and if I can remember it correctly it tells you to put wet tinfoil all over the place so if the newt steps on it you will be able to hear it. Hopefully you can try this I do not know where the article is offhand but putting wet tinfoil down will let you hear it and hopefully get the little guy wet again if he steps in it. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.
One thing I almost had to learn the hard way to invest in TAPE.

(Message edited by Micki on February 19, 2007)

tried everything listed except the foil trick. I dont have good enough hearing to hear the stuff crinkling.

Ryan,
I feel you should still try the foil trick. If you read one of the lines in what Cameron posted.
"If you don't find it, place pieces of foil all over the house so it can stay wet." So even if your hearing is not great your newt still has a chance of getting wet & you still have your vision, keep checking the tinfoil pieces. Good luck & keep us posted.

When my paddle tailed newt escaped, I found it under a pile of dirty laundry... pretty dusty and limp, but once I put it back in the water it was fine. I hope you find yours soon!

i just found him. he was all dried out by the front door. its at least 50ft from the tank. funny thing is, i saw him there the morning i noticed he was gone, but i thought it was a piece of the carpet. it was already dried out at that point. oh well, at least i dont have to worry about him falling on me when i take a book out of the bookshelf or something

Ryan,
I am so sorry for you loss.
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back