Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nipping at tail

K

karen

My eastern newt has been twisting himself around to apparently nip at his tail (while he's in the water). He's been doing this for over a month, even while he was sick (he seems much better now) It's not a shedding situation. Has anyone ever observed this with their newts? What is causing this?

I

ian

I dont keep Eastern newt. But do you think it is a breeding behaviour? Like since there is no female in the tank. So he starts thinking that tail is another female's?? Just a guess.

A

alberto

Hello Karen
I have Eastern Newts but I have never seen any of my try to nip their tail. Are you sure that it is trying to nip at his tail and not trying to remove shedded skin? How often does your newt do this?
Good luck!

H

heather

My pyrro's occassionaly do the same thing. I always chalked it up to shedding or external parasites. Its not a constant issue with them and they still eat and act the same so I have never been concerned. Maybe someone knows how to safely treat for parasites and can offer a solution, or recommendation

K

karen

I don't think it's related to shedding since he shed a day or so ago. I don't know if it's a breeding behavior. If it's parasites, I don't know where they would be coming from, the tank is pretty spotless and I can't see anything floating around in the water.

He's been doing this for the past month or so, but not regularly, just from time to time. He was treated w/ Baytril for a week for some other issues; wouldn't this have killed off any parasites if there were any?

J

joan

My axolotls sometimes chase their tails. Maybe yours is just over-excited and chases his tail.

Baytril is an antibiotic and probably won't kill external parasites.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1