Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt with fungus?

A

alexander

Is it possible for a newt to have fungus? yesterday when i went to the local fish store i saw one Newt alone and had a little fungus on his head well it looked like fungus.... any way another question is could these guys go with African dwarf frogs.... if so im willing to Quarantine and help him and then put him in my african dwarf frog so he has a chance to live and be happy
happy.gif

H

hayden

I dont know if putting him in with adfs is safe...what kind of newt?...Ive heard of Easterns and Adfs survive together...All newts can get fungus...

I

isaiah

Yes they can get fungus and mixing with adfs will not be good for the newt or frog.

A

alexander

It was a Fire bellied newt... i saw them keeping them with African dwarf frogs at my local pet store...
Like i said in my first post if i did buy it i would clear up the fungus first before adding it with the frog.

K

kaysie

Pet stores usually dont know anything about the animals they keep. It's not a good idea to keep it with the frog. someone will end up hurt or dead.

A

alexander

happy.gif
thanks im planing on getting a 10 gallon for a newt tank.how many could I keep in there (chinese firebellied newts)

W

william

I think I'm right in saying that chinese firebellies are pretty docile so I would have just two in your tank you don't want to over crowd and you can always take one back if needs be.

H

hayden

If they are C.o you could try 3 if it is aquatic...They have lots more room in a almost aquatic tank...You will still want a small land area though...Otherwise as william said Firebellies would be more comfortable if it were just two

J

jennifer

The number you could keep there depends on the setup. If you have it 2/3rds full of water (over 5 gallons of actual water volume) AND if you are careful about keeping waste cleaned out, AND you don't have any other animals there, then I would say you could keep 4-5 of them in a 10 gallon.

barney2010

Reaction score
some one tell me what i am suppose to do i think my newt has a fungus its white on his head , it came within 24 hrs of changing him to a larger tank new water the whole shabang please help how di get rid of fungus is the fish ick stuff good for newts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1