Can my Newt have a roommate?

M

m

Hello! I really don't know much about my newt. I got it at this little pet shop in the middle of nowhere, where it was labelled as a Chinese Mandarin Newt. After some internet research, I believe he/she is a Rough-Skinned Newt. Recently, I rescued a tiny red eared slider turtle & was wondering if it could be housed together with my Newt. I haven't been able to find any information as to what types of critters can be housed with it, if any. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Newts are not social, but a newt of his species would be fine if you wanted.

That turtle will NOT be small for long at all. Start planning ahead!

Where did you 'rescue' a 1 inch slider from? You do know they get about 10 inches or so in length, and have voracious appetites, right? I hope you have a big enough tank.

I heard full growth Red ear slider need a 100 gallon tank each. And they are extremely dirty.

I don't care what anyone says. My t-granulosas (rough-skinned) are way happier when they have a friend (a friend the same species!)

Yeah, I know they eventually get big. Basically some kid bought one instead of buying streamers at the Chinese New Year Parade. The mother was yelling at him and told him to leave it behind on the subway. So I offered to take it.

Thanks for the advice Everyone!

Does anyone notice a difference in your Newt's behavior when there's more than one? Mine just floats around under water. I've had mine alone for 7 years now but never even thought about adding a buddy until the turtle came along. Does anyone think it might get aggressive if I added another one at this point? If I do get one, should I get one around the same size or gender?

From my experience. I had on t gran for about 4 years, added another that was quite a bit younger and smaller and they're best buds. No problems at all. Limbs and tails sometimes mistaken for worms and get chomped but no real aggression.

OT:I dont know about the newt but in regards to the turtle its needs 10 gallons of water per inch of shell (measured from the bottom from after the head to just before the tail)
their only dirty if you dont keep the tank clean filstar xp3 is great for them
oh and a femlae can reach about 12 inches a male about 10

not to mention red eared sliders often live to be 50+. it's definitely a long term commitment (i have 2).
happy.gif
whatever you do, don't "let it go" if you get tired of it. donate it to a school, museum, zoo etc.

and newts don't need companions in my experience, they do fine by themselves... maybe try some fish? i have guppies that mate and my newt eats the babies. it's neat to watch him stalk them. if you do get another newt, make sure it's nearly the same size as your current one.. and i wouldn't mix species either. and make sure you quarantine the new newt for a couple of weeks to make sure he isn't carrying any harmful bugs that could be spread to your old newt. good luck!

I have a red-eared slider that is 5 years old and about 5-6 inches. They are only dirty if you let the tank get that way!!! They are great animals. Clyde ( even though we found out later that "he" was a "she") likes to follow your every move. When i walk into the room he gets really excited and starts swimming like crazy. My parents just says he wants a worm, but i like to think that he just loves me!!
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back