Help with Identification

D

dave

Pachytriton C is what I had come up with, but I was given another name and it is possible. A Chinese Warty Newt
I was told when purchased they were Paddle tail salamanders. I have all but ruled that out, due to the obviously rough skin. They are both males, and very aggressive. I'm working on re-doing their tank for separation.
Is there a way to post more than one pic at a time?
What do you think it is? Pic 1 of 3
6661.jpg

Kinda looks like japanese fire belly to me but its hard to tell without seeing a front and belly view of him.

Both are warty newts (Paramesotriton). However, I would venture that the two are different species. Is pic 1 taken from an odd angle, or is the throat swollen?

the first pic looks sort-of like Paramesotriton Hongkongesis.

Mark

I agree, the one in pic 1 and 3 looks like hongkongensis.

Yes, that is a growth on his left jaw. When I got both of them they were both missing their right front feet. I'm guessing the regenerative ability sent the signal for a new foot at the same time he got in a battle with the other for dominance of the tank, causing a nick on his jaw. The new cells started collecting at the wrong spot. He got 1 toe back. The other has three back now, but I still call him two toes. A local vet who is studying for his Herp tests is the one that looked at them both.
I'll try to get some better ones this weekend.
This is the only other pic I have of Jaws so far;
6730.jpg

I agree it aint a paddle tail. I own quite a few and a noticable feature with paddle tails is the skinny legs and small digits. those pictures show long "fingers" - hope this is some help!
smile.gif

The first being "wartier"(1st pic) makes me lean toward the p. guanxiensis/fuzhongensis more then the hong kong which is smoother overall. It's hard to tell with Paramesotriton sometimes.

the chinensis has a smaller tail and no waves usually and is smaller overall then the hongkong. The uncharacteristic species showing up between fuzhongensis and guangxiensis has made many believe it to be the same. Two unique characteristics of hongkongensis are the presences of cranial ridges and less warty skin compared(2nd pic shows more smoothness) to the other species.

first, are these pics all of the same newt? It look like 1 fuz/guangxiensis and maybe 1 hongkong newt.

sorry to confuse you.

Cataldo

(Message edited by cataldo on December 14, 2003)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back