Fire sal help

K

kieron

Ok i have a fire salamander well two and one seems to climb the coner and sleep at the top when the lights are on why does it do this the temp is about 16 degress.
56670.jpg

I have two logs (but one is like two as you can get to it from both sides but you cant get though so i have three) and they send most of there time (well there did till this one went up the side) under the water bowl

Sounds theoretically like your hides are fine. I would hazard that this one is trying to find it's own territory. I'm not a salamandra expert but if I saw behavior like this amongst my plethodons, I would begin to feed them more and re-evaluate the size of my enclosure. Hopefully someone with some real experience with this species can jump in with some good possible explanations.

What is the temperature in the different portions of the tank? If it's too warm in some spots, the Salamander may just naturally be trying to move to a cooler spot, and so far the only option to a new location is up, but it has to stop there. I don't know how large your tank is, but micro-climates can exist and make it uncomfortable.

If that is possibly the case, then I would try moving the tank to a cooler spot and see what happens, maybe get a more uniform temperature.

On the other hand... he may just think he's a gecko.

(Message edited by UberKye on April 01, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back