Pregnant newt help

B

bogdan

hi,

got a "triturus dobrogicus" (i guess, gonna attach some pics), big belly, it wants to get out of the water. i left it for 3 days in a small enclosure with some water, two rocks and some dry land...no eggs. but the problem is that its skin is dry, if i don't wet it, well it'll look like an old carrot
happy.gif
. if i put it back in the aquarium, it still tries to get out. what are the needs of water/land of this kind of newt? does it need dry land to lay eggs?

(Message edited by b0gd4n on June 23, 2006)

if not dobrogicus, what is it? the males(some are more spotted, and with a little 1mm crest, guess those are males) don't have the crest so big as dobrogicus....or they are too young?? sorry bout the quality of the pics
happy.gif

66876.jpg

66877.jpg

(Message edited by b0gd4n on June 23, 2006)

(Message edited by jennewt on June 24, 2006)

I cannot identify the species from the photos. Hopefully someone else can help you with that. Where did you get them (in the wild, versus from a pet source)?

It is normal for Triturus newts to want to stay on land in summer, especially if it is hot there (what is the temperature of their tank?). They should not be on "dry land", but on some kind of moist substrate so that they do not dry out - damp soil, or rocks/gravel that is wet (but not stagnant).

the gril-newt escaped, cannot find her anywhere. i purchased those guys from a pet store, but they did know only that this "it's a triton". as i live close to the danube river, probably this is a dobrogicus and the males are too young to show a crest. the water temperature is 27C(80F) and rising, i cannot do anything for that, can't find any peltier coolers in this country, and the evaporation just isn't enough to cool it down
sad.gif
. any ideeas?

(Message edited by b0gd4n on June 25, 2006)

the males are doing well in water, no escape attempts...but i'll still build an island for them. can't seal the tank, i rely on evaporation for keeping them cold. gonna install AC in ~3 days. thanks!;)

Seal the tank with screen material or fabric (this will not reduce evaporation). Or, create a wide "lip" (as illustrated in the article : http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml ). Otherwise, they WILL climb out. They should have an island, of course. It is possible for them to drown if they have no place to go out of the water.

(Message edited by jennewt on June 27, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back