Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt going into filter again!

J

john

I gave stash and cavern, my 2 C.o.s, a new 20 gallon long tank. I separated the tank so it is 1/3 land and 2/3 water. I woke up this morning only to find stash in the filter again. I had a top on it. He must have crawled up this filter and into it. Why would he do that. What should I do.

P

paula

Hi John! I'm new to newts, have one C.O. so far.

I'm pretty sure he climbed it because it was there, lol. And I believe these little guys will climb whatever they find to climb. Hope he's okay!

I have a simple solution for you IF your filter is a hang-on-the-back type- have been doing this on my big frog tanks and it works like a charm.

Get some plastic canvas- you can find it in the craft section at WalMart or at a craft store. It comes in 8 X 11 sheets for about 20 cents a sheet- it's the stuff used for needlepoint work.

Cut the canvas to create a perfect fit (no gaps) around the space where the filter and filter intake tube are. Use electrical tape to tape it snugly to the aquarium hood.

If you have a submersible filter, hmm, good question. There must be some way to prevent the climbing.

~Paula

P

paula

Just wanted to add- if electrical tape is used, make sure there isn't any sticky-side-down directly above the intake tube, where a newt could get stuck to it. Imagine how horrifying that would be. I don't leave any sticky-side-down tape exposed on my tanks.

D

danny

Im in the same situation as you are John, except my P waltl's are actually digging under the filter and making a little den under it! I bury the filter(fluval 2) on its side until there is only one intake left exposed and then I cover the edges with gravel and some biomax cylinders. The P waltl's will swim on top and start to push everything off until they have an opening, slowly but surely they get their way under the filter every time! Sometimes I look in the tank and get all worried when I can't find all four, just place a little food in the tank and out they come for supper! I have plenty of other hiding spots in the tank but Im lost as to why they like the filter den.....? Maybe your C.O. thinks the filter is a nice home too
biggrin.gif

J

john

cool thx. I was thinkin of getting a new type of filter I saw at the store. It had ajustable flow controls and had no spot a newt could fit in. I'll have to find a way to prevent it until then. Thx again.

J

john

Well I went out and got a new filter that he coulld never crawl into. Yeah. Thx for the help guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1