Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Arboreal salamanders

B

beckie

Are there any arboreal salamanders? or even semi arboreal? i'm getting a salamander (haven't made the final decision, but i'm leaning towards a tiger) and i wanted to know if it would be a good idea to add things for climbing. thanx a bunch!

T

travis

Yes,
There is actually a salamander called the Aboreal salamander(Andeides lugubris).On the west coast the Genus of Aneides are called climbing salamanders.
Most salamanders are not going to need anything to climb on and a tiger salamander will definetly not.
-Travis

J

john

Just to be controversial, a question to the Aneides-savvy/knowledgeable enthusiasts and experts (you know who you are): What is the general perception of the accuracy of that caresheet?

C

coen

This is the only thing I found when doing a search for it, So I can't compare it to other articles. But it seems trustworthy.

J

john

Thanks Coen, but I was asking for the opinions of people who know a lot about Aneides because I certainly don't.

C

coen

Same problem here John, I never even knew they excisted before reading this thread. But they look very interesting.

p.s. everyone go to the chat now!! would be nice to talk to some other people than myself over there
happy.gif

(Message edited by coen on June 17, 2003)

K

kaysie

has anyone noticed the oxymoron for Aneides lugubris? Lugubrious meaning dismal, generally gloomy. and aboreal meaning heavenly?

N

nate

hmmm....arboreal comes from arbor, or tree. It means tree-dwelling.

N

nate

A few things things to add to John's request for controversy...

I find that caresheet pretty accurate in the sense that you certainly aren't going to kill salamanders outright by using it the way some so-called caresheets will.

Some problems I have with it include his statement that "All Aneides require a brief hibernation period from December to February". This is a curious statement and I wonder on what it is based since species like lugubris, vagrans, and flavipunctatus tend to be VERY active in the wild from December-February. In fact, that's my preferred time to try and see them. Having lived in both southern and northern CA as well as Oregon, I can tell you that Aneides are certainly active during that time and readily observable as long as temperatures are not freezing.

And of course, his breeding claims...I think the distinction should be made between captive breeding and the collection of gravid females which lay eggs a few weeks later. 'Nuff said!

J

john

Methinks Kaysie bit off too much.

To Nate: thanks, you knew I was talking to you originally anyway *grin*.

T

travis

John,
I am not an expert on Aneides but I am keeping A. flavipunctatus and A. aeneus right now.
I am going to agree with Nate on just about everything. I don't think hibernation is very crucial at all. I find A. flavipunctatus active during cold rainy nights December-Febuary so that leads me to believe that during this time they are not hiberating.
Up north where A. ferrus and A. vagrans occur it may be different when tempatures drop below freezing.I would doubt it though.
I saw that Marc had a friend collect A.f.niger and send them to him from Bouder Creek, Santa Cruz county.No exactly legal.He claims to have bred these but like Nate mentions,collecting gravid females that lay eggs later in not a captive breeding.
I think that it is accurate enough but is in no a way a perfect example of how to keep aneides.
I also noticed that he and EK went looking for A. aeneus in TN.Where has Erik been?
-Travis

K

kaysie

next time i'll pay attention... she put arboreal, then travis put aboreal...

i just like its scientific name

N

nate

To Travis...EK has recently moved and is super busy. I'm not even sure he's back online yet. But you can expect to see him again in the near future.

T

travis

Nate,
I remember him mentioning that he was moving. I figured that was it. Thanks for lettin me know.
Thanks,
Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1